20000316: LDM problems at CCNY (cont.)

>From: "Ka Kit Lai" <address@hidden>

Ka,

>I did login as the root and stop/start the ldm, I think this was the
>cause of all these problem.

I think so.  The LDM should only be run as the user 'ldm'.  It should
never be run as 'root'.

>So now the LDM has been restarted by the user
>ldm, right?

Correct.

>By the way, we forgot the password for the user ldm, can you
>tell us. Thank you very much for your help.

I don't believe that we ever had the password for the user 'ldm'.  We
would login in as your substitute super user and then 'su - ldm'.
to become 'ldm'.  If nobody remembers the password, it is probably
a good time to change it as 'root'.

Tom