20000210: Hostname change II.

>From: Jim Heimbach <address@hidden>

Jim,

>     I've struggled with the possibility of the server renaming
>disconnecting the fully qualified hostname.
>
>Below is /home/uncamcid/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT:
>
>     ADDE_ROUTE_RTGRIDS=152.18.35.163
>     ADDE_ROUTE_RTIMAGES=152.18.35.163
>     ADDE_ROUTE_RTNIDS=152.18.35.163
>     ADDE_ROUTE_RTNOWRAD=152.18.35.163
>     ADDE_ROUTE_RTPTSRC=152.18.35.163
>     ADDE_ROUTE_RTWXTEXT=152.18.35.163
>     ADDE_ROUTE_TOPO=152.18.35.163
>     ADDE_ROUTE_BLIZZARD=128.117.140.56
>     ADDE_ROUTE_MYDATA=LOCAL-DATA
>
>The server's (vortex's) IP number is 152.18.35.163, so that matches up.

I just tried to verify that this server is configured to run the
McIDAS ADDE remote server.  The first (quick and dirty) step in doing
this is to try a telnet to one of the ports that ADDE will be using:

telnet 152.18.35.163 503
Trying 152.18.35.163...

The "Connection refused" message indicates that this machine is not
setup to run the ADDE remote server.  If this is the same box that was
setup previously, then it is likely that the ADDE settings in either or
both of /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf were removed.  If this is the
case, then the ADDE remote server needs to be resetup.  I believe
that you have done this before, but the procedure is covered in:

Installing the McIDAS-X ADDE Remote Server
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/adde_mcx.html

>And below is the result of doing a SEE ADDESITE.TXT in uncamcid:
>
>     ADDE_ROUTE_RTIMAGES=LOCAL-DATA
>     ADDE_ROUTE_RTNIDS=LOCAL-DATA
>     ADDE_ROUTE_RTNOWRAD=LOCAL-DATA
>     ADDE_ROUTE_RTGRIDS=LOCAL-DATA
>     ADDE_ROUTE_RTPTSRC=LOCAL-DATA
>     ADDE_ROUTE_RTWXTEXT=LOCAL-DATA
>     ADDE_ROUTE_TOPO=LOCAL-DATA
>     ADDE_ROUTE_MYDATA=LOCAL-DATA
>     SEE: Done...EOF Encountered.
>
>     In the admin account, mcidas, MCTABLE.TXT does not exist
>and the ADDESITE.TXT table is identical to uncamcid's.

These should be the same file if the uncamcid's account is setup according
to the online instructions.  ADDESITE.TXT is "findable" by the uncamcid's
account by virtue of the MCTABLE_READ environment variable that should be
defined there.

By the way, the listing above shows that all data accesses should be
done locally (i.e., not through the ADDE remote server).  This means that
the uncamcid account must be setup to:

o know how to find the McIDAS data files that comprise ADDE datasets
o know how the various ADDE datasets (e.g., RTIMAGES, RTGRIDS, etc.)
  are defined (i.e., what the mapping between dataset name and actual
  McIDAS files is)

>As far
>as display commands I am using; for now I am simply using
>the menu which would be ADDE commands.  For example trying to
>show some topography got the following in the command window
>running on the server under the user account uncamcid:
>
>BATCH TOPOCONF  11 NONE X X X VER {BKGMAP.BAT}
>EG B 11
>Erased image and graphic frame(s) 11-11
>SF 11
>GU REST GRAPHIC 11 DEV=NNN
>IMGDISP TOPO/CONF 11 LATLON=45 110 MAG=-2 EU=TOPO SF=YES REFRESH='BAR >
>IMGDISP: Cannot contact server (connect() failed)
>IMGDISP: done
>IMGDISP failed, RC=2
>BATCH: BATCH job abandon /home/mcidas/data/BKGMAP.BAT
>BATCH: BATCH done /home/mcidas/data/BKGMAP.BAT

This message indicates that the IMGDISP command is trying to go to the
remote ADDE server which, from the telnet test above, was found to not
be setup/working.

>     I am assuming that "LOCAL-DATA" is a code for McIDAS
>routing and not some setenv thing, i.e.,
>          echo $LOCAL-DATA
>shows up empty.

Right.  LOCAL-DATA means that the command being run will crankup ADDE
server routines that will look to see how the dataset is defined and then
try to find the data files from information defined in the user's session.
Going to a remote serer means that the command doesn't have to worry about
these things.  All it has to do is know which server to go to to find
the data.

>From my naive point of view, the above seems
>to be what I want for data access.
>     Any hints?

What is the content of the uncamcid's MCTABLE.TXT file (if it exists)?
If it is pointing to 152.18.35.163 for data, then it is failing since
that server is not setup.

MCTABLE.TXT will be used before ADDESITE.TXT by virtue of the user's
MCTABLE_READ which should look like:

MCTABLE_READ="${MCDATA}/MCTABLE.TXT;/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT"

First ${MCDATA}/MCTABLE.TXT is searched.  If the named dataset is found
in it, no further searching occurs.  If the named dataset is not found,
then /home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT is searched.  If the named data set
is not found in ADDESITE.TXT, then the dataset is assumed to be
LOCAL-DATA.

I think you should:

o check uncamcid's MCTABLE.TXT file
o find out why 152.18.35.163 is no longer configured to run the
  ADDE remote serer (if it ever was)

Tom

>From address@hidden  Tue Feb 15 13:56:21 2000
>Subject: Followup

Tom;
     A quick followup on what I thought was a hostname problem.
You will recall that I was unable to work any data that was
accessible through ADDE.  Your idea to check out /etc/services
and /etc/inetd.conf pointed in the right direction.  In January
we had a big time crash of the server and the distribution copies
of these files were loaded.  With the proper lines added, things
are up to snuff.
     Many thanks / Jim H.