20000210: Unidata-Wisconsin products removed in July of 1999 (cont.)

>From: "Karli Lopez (McIDAS)" <address@hidden>

Karli,

>Thanks, sorry for the delay, i've been very busy lately.
>
>The feeds were not suspended but when I checked batch.k , it had the wrong
>environment variables.  I fixed that but I'm not sure where to find out to
>which directory the lwtoa3 decoder writes to.  (Unless they're to the same
>directory as the MCIDAS data directory, or if McIdas copies them
>automatically, I have to do that as well)

One specifies where lwtoa3 is to write its output in the LDM's pqact.conf
entry for lwtoa3.  Check your file and look for the '-d' flag.  Its
value will be directory into which the files are to be written.

>So far I haven't seen any encoding, but it's only been a short while since I
>made the change. I'll have to see tommorrow.

OK.

>as for the discontinued ingestors,

You mean discontinued products?  All non-imagery products were removed
from the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream on July 1, 1999.  The products
that stopped getting sent were:

North America and Global Initialization GRID files
Surface and upper air MDXX files
48 state METAR text file, UNIDATAS
Administrative messages (these had actually disappeared quite some time ago)

>I had the following:
>
>        2125 = 220
>        2126 = 229
>        2127 = 227
>        2128 = 230
>        2129 = 239
>        2130 = 237
>        2131 = 240
>        2132 = 249
>        2133 = 246
>        2134 = 250
>        2135 = 259
>        2136 = 251
>
> 2125 I XXX    "GOES-8 IR/Topography composite beginning cylinder
> 2126 I XXX    "GOES-8 IR/Topography composite ending cylinder
> 2127 I XXX    "GOES-8 IR/Topography composite current cylinder
> 2128 I XXX    "GOES-8 VIS/Topography composite beginning cylinder
> 2129 I XXX    "GOES-8 VIS/Topography composite ending cylinder
> 2130 I XXX    "GOES-8 VIS/Topography composite current cylinder
> 2131 I XXX    "GOES-9 IR/Topography composite beginning cylinder
> 2132 I XXX    "GOES-9 IR/Topography composite ending cylinder
> 2133 I XXX    "GOES-9 IR/Topography composite current cylinder
> 2134 I XXX    "GOES-9 VIS/Topography composite beginning cylinder
> 2135 I XXX    "GOES-9 VIS/Topography composite ending cylinder
> 2136 I XXX    "GOES-9 VIS/Topography composite current cylinder

These entries are for products that get created on your machine
after the receipt of GOES-East and/or GOES-West imagery in the
datastream.

>        2031 = 2
>        2032 = 0
>        2033 = 99182
>

> 2031 I XXX    " UNIDATA: CURRENT Early Domestic Product GRID FILE NUMBER
> 2032 I XXX    " UNIDATA: CURRENT Early Domestic Product GRID HOUR
> 2033 I XXX    " UNIDATA: CURRENT Early Domestic Product GRID DAY

These SYSKEY.TAB entries are for the North American GRID file that used
to be included in the data stream.

>-----------------------
>
>Unfortunately, now I have another problem, which I know nothing of.  Last week
>I had no problem displaying images from McIDAS, but then when I would look at
>them, I would get the following error from IMGDISP:

>IMGLOOP
>IMGLOOP not found.
>IMGDISP RTIMAGES/MDR 11 LINELE=175 320 PLACE=C MAG=1 EU=MDR SF=YES REF>
>IMGDISP: Image data server unable to resolve this dataset: RTIMAGES/MDR
>IMGDISP: done
>
>And now, when I call IMGDISP, I get the following:

>EG 11;SF 11;IMGDISP RTIMAGES/GE-VIS 11 LATLON=32 82 MAG=-2  EU=IMAGE SF=YES RE
> FR
>ESH=>
>Erased graphic frame(s) 11-11
>
>IMGDISP: Cannot contact server (connect() failed)
>IMGDISP: done
>IMGDISP failed, rc=2

>Do you have any idea what could be wrong.  I've noticed that now images are
>accessed in a manner different from what ALOOP used to do...

The change in how the images are accessed is a reflection of the conversion
of McIDAS commands to ADDE (Abstract Data Distribution Environment).
IMGDISP makes request for images from a dataset to a server which may
be running locally or remotely.  In the example IMGDISP command you list
above, the request is for the latest image in the group GE-VIS from
the dataset named RTIMAGES.

Where IMGDISP makes its request from (i.e., from which server) depends on
what you have setup in  your McIDAS session.  You can see this by running
the DATALOC command:

DATALOC LIST

I am certain that when you run this you are going to find out that you
were requesting images to be loaded from our ADDE server that was
running on a machine called zero (zero.unidata.ucar.edu).  We turned off
that server just this week, so if you were requesting loads from our
system, they would have stopped working in just the way that you
report above.

What you need to do is configure you McIDAS session to request images
from your own ADDE server.  This would require that you access the data
as LOCAL-DATA or that you have setup your ADDE remote server as per online
instructions.  This is easy to check from my end.

First, to see if port 500 has been enabled on your system for uncompressed
ADDE transfers, I ran:

telnet breeze.uprm.edu 500
Trying 136.145.165.17...
Connected to breeze.uprm.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.

This shows that it is likely that you did run mcinet7.6.sh as 'root'
to setup your remote ADDE server.

The next step is to see if the rest of the configuration was done/done
correctly:

DATALOC ADD RTIMAGES breeze.uprm.edu

DSINFO IMAGE RTIMAGES
    No Datasets found of Type: IMAGE in Group: RTIMAGES
DSINFO -- done

This shows that the setup for your remote ADDE server is either not complete
or is incorrect in some way.

What you need to do is see if your datasets are setup:

<login as 'mcidas'>
<start a McIDAS-X session>
DATALOC LIST                       <- see who you were getting images from
DATALOC ADD RTIMAGES LOCAL-DATA    <- get them locally
DSINFO IMAGE RTIMAGES              <- see if they are setup

If they are setup, then do the following:

IMGLIST RTIMAGES/GE-VIS.ALL

You should get back a listing of all of the GOES-East VIS images on
your system.

If you do not get back a listing, or if the files are all old, then the
ingestion/decoding of your imagery and/or setup of your ADDE datasets
is suspect.

>Thanks for your help,

Please run the above quickly and let me know what happens.

Tom