20000202: problem with mcidasx & custom sat. loop

>From: alan anderson <address@hidden>

Alan,

>We have what must be a fairly small problem, but don't know the fix.
>
>One one of our terminals, a gateway running solaris for intel,
>and mcidasx ver 7.06, using Unidata MCGUI, the following has happened.
>
>1. Trying to plot a map of temperatures, with a satellite loop already
>   running.  First drew a blank map, loop still running.
>
>   Tried again, seemed to exit from MCGUI, with an error message:
>
>   Program terminated, floating point error.
>
>2. Re-entered MCGUI, got message
>
>   Error in startup script:  Bad Window ...... while executing
>   "xwindow $win $windowid  .......
>
>Exited mcidas and restarted mcidas

This is what I would have recommended.

>Appears to be working ok, but
>
>3. Tried to plot a satellite loop (Eastern IR) using a custom map
>   (centered on KSTC, blowdown of 3) and no loop appears.
>
>   It will plot a default loop.  Also, will not plot a single image
>   with custom map as above.
>
>   Twin machine next in line seems to do the above with no problems.

What must have happened is the definition for the string ?LOAD got
munged (?LOAD is used for custom loading of images/loops).

What you need to do is reload the GUI defaults.  You do this as follows:

o click on the Configure dropdown at the top of MCGUI
o select Load GUI Defaults
o select the /home/mcidas/data directory in the left had side list by
  clicking the left mouse button (button 1) over the directory name
o you should see UNIMENU.DEF listed in the right had side list box; select
  it; the Selection Entry at the bottom should now show
  /home/mcidas/data/UNIMENU.DEF
o select LOAD

Now, you should be able to and do a custom load correctly.  If not, please
let me know.

Tom