20000203: NIU ADDE access to MSFC imagery

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Anthony and Gilbert and MUG support,

Sorry I couldn't jump in on this discussion before now.  I was off yesterday
(skiing; superb!) and have been trying to unbury myself from the email
that piled up (in one short day ;-().

I am including the entire set of email exchanges at the bottom of this
message for our tracking system.  I will put my comments at the beginning
so you don't have to wade through the stuff you have already seen.

My specific comments are:

o I did not muck with the McIDAS code to eliminate comments like was
  asked by Jay

  "Maybe it's possible that the Unidata McIDAS does not have or print
  that message or something like that."

  I agreed with Jay's specualtion, however:

  "If Gilbert's client machine is requesting compressed data transfers,
  then your server must also have port 503 open for the compressed data
  transfer."

o Jay's finding of 'stdin: not in compressed format' (I saw this this morning)
  led me to the same conclusion that Jay cam to: there was something amiss in
  the ADDE server setup at MSFC related to the finding of compress.
  This matches what I found _and fixed_ for the Unidata release.  Here
  is the relevant comment from the change file, mcidas7.6/src/CHANGES.760
  I include in the Unidata McIDAS-X distribution:

mcserv.cp              SSEC 7.60 version with mods
                         added execl for compress and uncompress for Linux where
                           they are found in /usr/bin
                         added execl for compress and uncompress for IRIX where
                           they are found in /usr/bsd

The second line is the operative one for the MSFC problem!  One must
either make a link on one's IRIX system so that compress can be found
in the location expected by mcserv, or one has to modify mcserv.cp and
have the /usr/bsd directory searched for compress (this is the route I
took).

Gilbert,

The use of the MCCOMPRESS environment variable in McIDAS to choose whether
or not to use compressed data transfers is presented in the Unidata
McIDAS-X Learning Guide:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mclearn760/adde-6.html

I see that it should be discussed in detail in my online Installation
and Configuration information.

MUG support,

As a side comment, the use of an environment variable to determine
whether one uses compressed or uncompressed transfers has been
discussed at MUG meetings in the past.  A number of us feel that a
users should be able to specify _at the command level_ which form to
use (i.e., compressed or uncompressed).  Setting of MCCOMPRESS to
_anything_ forces ALL transfers to be done in compressed mode;
unsetting of MCCOMPRESS forces ALL transfers to be done in uncompressed
mode.  This is less than optimum (to say the least).

As you have noted, when compressed transfers are turned off, loading of
imagery from remote sites is noticably slower.

If I were to redesign the compress/uncompress stuff (comment for the MUG),
I would add support for a keyword that sets the transfer mode
(like COMPRESS=YES|NO) that would override the setting of the MCCOMPRESS
environment variable.  If keeping the MCCOMPRESS concept is near and
dear to someone's heart, then I would add support for the things that
Gilbert was trying to do:

MCCOMPRESS=TRUE  | YES | ON  | 1 -> use compressed transfers
MCCOMPRESS=FALSE | NO  | OFF | 0 -> use uncompressed transfers

If MCCOMPRESS is not defined, then I would default it to FALSE/NO/OFF/0.

Anthony,

I figured that you _should_ be able to get compressed transfer support
working immediately by having your system administrator make a link
from /usr/bsd/compress to any of the directories already supported by
mcserv.  Why this did not work for you is a mystery to me.  For my
distribution, however, I chose to add the /usr/bsd directory into
mcserv.cp for both compress and uncompress since that would eliminate
the burden of explaining to users that their 'root' would need to make
the link.

The text that follows is the full transcript of the interactions that
Gilbert has had with Anthony and Anthony has had with the MUG, so you
can stop reading here.

Tom