19991021: McIDAS-X 7.60 mods for RedHat 6.0 Linux

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Ricky (?),

Sorry if I got your name wrong.  I put a compressed tar file of the
7.60 modules that I modified to support RedHat 6.0 Linux in
our distribution McIDAS-X:

machine: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user: anonymous
pass: your full email address
directory: pub/mcidas
file: mclinux.tar.Z

The contents of the tar file are setup to be extracted from a
~mcidas/mcidas7.6/update directory.  You will not have this directory
since it is not part of SSEC McIDAS.  I suggest that you install the
code mods in the compressed tar file by doing the following:

<login as mcidas>
cd mcidas7.6
mkdir update
cd update
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <anonymous>
  <your full email address>
  cd pub/mcidas
  binary
  get mclinux.tar.Z
  quit
cd ../src
mv mcar.sh mcar.sh.ssec
mv mccomp.sh mccomp.sh.ssec
mv tclcomp.sh tclcomp.sh.ssec
mv mct_ebuf.c mct_ebuf.c.ssec
mv decoder.cp decoder.cp.ssec
mv mcserv.cp mcserv.cp.ssec
cd ../update
zcat mclinux.tar.Z | tar xvf -
cd ../src
make all

The McIDAS files that I modified will be unpacked into the ../src
directory.  The netcdf files that are included in the compressed tar
file are ones from our production release of netCDF 3.4 (the ones
included in the SSEC distribution of McIDAS-X 7.60 were from a beta
distribution).  The file tclPosixStr.c is one that was patched by
RedHat for their bundled version of Tcl/Tk 8.0.4 on 6.0 Linux.  The
files f2c, f2c.h, and libf2c.a are the copies of f2c that I make
available to my sites that are upgrading to RedHat 6.0 Linux.

For further information on things to watch out for in building McIDAS-X
on Linux are detailed in:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/warnings_mcx.html

Please let me know if you run into anything unusual in your build.

Tom Yoksas