19991019: McIDAS/Linux trouble

>From: Geff Underwood <address@hidden>

Geff,

>I'm trying to build McIDAS-X 7.60 under Red Hat Linux 6.0, and I've run
>into a problem:  convdlm dumps core when run on mdxgra.dlm.
>
>There were no errors or warnings comiling convdlm, and it doesn't give
>an error messages before dumping core.
>
>What am I doing wrong?

There could be several things:

o your distribution is not newer than the addenda I made on September 14
  (check: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/addenda.html
  for mods that have been made since the initial McIDAS-X 7.60 release)

o you are using the wrong version of f2c

The second item is most likely your first problem.  One of the major
changes made in RedHat 6.0 Linux was the use of glibc 2.1.  In this
version of glibc, stdin, stout, and stderr are no longer constants.  In
order to build McIDAS (and other Unidata applications), you will need
to get a version of f2c, f2c.h, and libf2c.a that are compatible with
the 6.0 changes.  I make compatible versions of these available in the
unix/760/fortran/RedHat6.0 directory of the passworded McIDAS FTP
account on our FTP server ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.  If you need to grab
these, make sure to get them in binary mode and install them in the
/usr/local/[bin|include|lib] directories, respectively.

If you have not updated your McIDAS-X 7.60 distribution since you first
FTPed it (Wed Aug 11 08:50:38 1999), then you should upgrade the code
with all of the latest mods I have made through addenda.  In
particular, the bugfix Addenda #2 on September 14, 1999 contained
source modifications needed for building under RedHat 6.0 Linux.

Tom Yoksas