19991020: Errors compiling in 6.x

>From: Catarino David Delgado <address@hidden>

David,

>Just for the sake of asking...
>
>It's been virtually impossible to get RH 5.2 so I attempted a compile on
>RH 6.1 using the compat-gcc and glib (etc) libraries and f2c off of the
>powertools archive. I got much further on compiling with RH 6.1 then I
>was able to with 5.1.
>
>Have you had any success stories with 6.1 (or have you had anyone who's
>tried?)

No, but I now support 6.0.  I will look at support for 6.1 as soon
as our copy comes in and we get it running on a machine here.  I made
an addenda to the McIDAS-X distribution that had the changes needed
for 6.0 no September 14.  You can read about the various modifications
that have been made to the distribution since its original release
in:

Addenda
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/addenda.html

The September addenda is:

September 14, 1999  Bugfix Addenda #
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/addenda_990914.html

>I've been working with the compile process on a considerably faster
>computer to save time. I made it through the entire compile of the c,
>and for files. Eventually, I come accross make errors in the netCDF
>section of make saying that the values of yyoff (or something
>approximating that) are not constant and the make fails. Is this typical
>with a RH6x compile?

SSEC released McIDAS 7.60 with a beta version of the netCDF 3.4 distribution.
Modules that were changed in the full release were ncgentab.c and ncgenyy.c.
These are causing the problem you are reporting above.

>In any case, I'm working on a copy of RedHat 5.2 again. I would just
>like to know about the compile process on 6.1 systems.

I think that McIDAS-X will build on 6.1 if you update your distribution
to the current addenda level.  Please review the mods in the various
addenda accessible from the Addenda page listed above.

Tom Yoksas