19990909: MCADDE setup

>From: Kenji Matsuura <address@hidden>

Kenji,

>I am trying to install ADDE and following instructions on
>
>http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/config_mcidas.html
>
>Something is not working right but I cannot tell what it is.
>
>       Type: DMAP AREA
>       Type: LA 9000 9019
>       Type: DF 9011 1 AU 0 0 -3 EU=TOPO SF=YES
>
>The tests above worked fine but when I try the followings
>
>       Type: DSINFO IMAGE TOPO
>       Type: IMGLIST TOPO/CONF
>       Type: IMGDISP TOPO/CONF 1 EU=TOPO MAG=-2 LATLON=42 100 SF=YES
>
>DSINFO does not output anything. If I specify DSINFO ALL, it outputs the
>information about BLIZZARD but nothing about our machine
>(climate.geog.udel.edu). IMGLIST TOPO/CONF gives me
>       TCP write failed   or sometimes
>       Image Directory READ failed -- Server Error

I did the quick and dirty check of your ADDE installation by telnetting
to port 503 on climate:

/home/mcidas/mcidas7.6/src% telnet CLIMATE.GEOG.UDEL.EDU 503
Trying 128.175.30.101...
Connected to CLIMATE.GEOG.UDEL.EDU.
Escape character is '^]'.
/export/home/mcidas/bin/mcservsh: syntax error at line 3: `path=' unexpected
Connection closed by foreign host.

The error message shows that you most likely have an error in the .mcenv
file in the HOME directory of the user 'mcidas'.  Please check this file
and make sure that:

o you don't have spaces between the '=' signs and the text on either side
o you have changed the PATH statement listed on our web page:

  PATH=${MCGUI}:...

  to match your system.  Something like:

  PATH=${MCGUI}:$PATH

>IMGDISP also tells me TCP write failed or sometimes no output.
>adde setup scripts ran successfully.

If the DATALOC for RTIMAGES is pointing to the remote server like:

DATALOC ADD RTIMAGES CLIMATE.GEOG.UDEL.EDU

then the problem is related to the settings in .mcenv.  If access to
RTIMAGES is throught LOCAL-DATA, then the problem is something else.
Since there is a problem telnetting to port 503, I suspect that
your problem is related to the ADDE remote server configurarion as
outlined above.

>The followings are parts of
>inetd.conf, passwd and services files.
>
>inetd.conf:
>mcserv  stream  tcp     nowait  mcadde
>/export/home/mcidas/bin/mcservsh
>mcservsh -H /export/home/mcidas

Looks OK (modulo the line breaks that are probably due to how you sent
the information).

>mccompress      stream  tcp     nowait  mcadde
>/export/home/mcidas/bin/mcservsh        mcservsh -H /export/home/mcidas

OK.

>passwd:
>mcadde:x:1009:1002::/export/home/mcidas:/bin/false

OK.

>services:
>mcserv          500/tcp      # McIDAS ADDE port
>mccompress      503/tcp      # McIDAS ADDE compression port

OK.

>IF you can direct me where I can look, I would appreciate it.

Look for a typo or incomplete ~mcidas/.mcenv file.

>Thank you for your assistance.

You are welcome.  Please let me know of your progress in getting this
working.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Fri Sep 10 08:32:19 1999

Thank you for your quick reply.

I checked .mcenv file for extra spaces and I could not find it. And then
I changed path=( .. line to PATH=..:.. as shown below. It seems path=(
is illegal in Bourne Shell. I hardly use Bourne Shell and I did not
realize it. After the changes, everything seems to work. DSINFO IMGLIST
IMGDISP examples worked and also new commands SFCCON, SFCLIST SFCPLOT
RAOBCON RAOBPLOT worked. So it seems things are working.

Again thank you for your help and I always appreciate your prompt reply.

Kenji Matsuura
=========
before:
umask 002

path=($HOME/runtime/bin $HOME/bin $OPENWINHOME/bin /bin)
path=($path /opt/SUNWspro/bin /usr/bin /usr/ucb /etc )
path=($path /usr/ccs/bin /opt/bin .)

MCDATA=$HOME/workdata
MCPATH=${MCDATA}:$HOME/data:$HOME/help
MCGUI=$HOME/bin