19990909: netCDF environment variables for IRIX64

>From: address@hidden (Steve Carson)

Steve,

>I just built McIDAS 7.60 on our SGI Origin 2000 and I encountered
>what may be an anomaly in your online documentation. On the web
>page
>
>http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/warnings_mcx.html#netcdf
>
>there is a list of suggested values for certain environment
>variables that need to be set in order to correctly compile
>the netCDF libraries which are now bundled with McIDAS. For
>IRIX64, the suggested values are:
>
>IRIX64 flip 6.5 01221553 IP30
>    setenv CC /bin/cc
>    setenv CPPFLAGS -DNDEBUG
>    setenv CFLAGS "-O -32"
>    setenv FC /bin/f77
>    setenv FFLAGS "-O -32"
>    setenv CXX /bin/CC

Oops, the -32 should be -n32.

>When I tried building McIDAS I got the following error message
>on STDOUT:
>
>-----
>link    ncdfadir:               FAILED (See '/mop1/mcidas/mcidas7.6/src/makelo
> g' for details.)
>
>*** Error code 1 (bu21)
>-----
>
>Looking in makelog, I found the following:
>
>-----
>compile ncdfadir.cp:            done
>./mccomp -O -s -vendor -o ncdfadir ncdfadir.o -L. -lsdi -lmcidas -L../netcdf/l
> ibsrc -lnetcdf
>f77 -s -O -o ncdfadir ncdfadir.o -L. -L../netcdf/libsrc -lsdi -lmcidas -lnetcd
> f -lm
>ld32: FATAL 12: Expecting n32 objects: ../netcdf/libsrc/libnetcdf.a(putget.o)
> is o32.
>link    ncdfadir:               FAILED
>-----
>
>As I understand it, "-32" defaults to "-o32" under IRIX64. Heeding
>my intuition I changed "-32" to "-n32" in the above definitions,

You are exactly correct.

>and then the build completed successfully. I then ran the suggested
>tests and found that the version I had just built apparently
>works correctly. So I thought I should pass this info along in
>case there is a discrepancy in the online documentation.

Yup, my mistake.  The settings I have in my IRIX 6.5 environment use
'-n32'.  The problem was that I did not update the Notes and Warnings
document to reflect the change for 7.60.

Sorry for my mistake.  I just corrected it.

>P.S. - I have also just successfully built and installed LDM 5.0.8
>on our Origin 2000, and encountered none of the problems that
>besieged me last year at this time.

Good, I am relieved.

>Thankfully, the MOPITT launch
>has been delayed for over a year, and in that time SGI got it's
>compiler act *slightly* more together so that it looks like we
>will be ready to do some great stuff with McIDAS/LDM when validation
>time comes. Thanks to all of you at UNIDATA - you are real pros!

Thanks for the kind words!

Tom Yoksas