19990807: PTCON (SFCCON and RAOBCON) in McIDAS 7.6

>From: address@hidden

Robert,

>I thought that this new distribution allowed you to use
>PTCON-like commands to do what SCC and UCC do, allow you to compute
>divergence, and vorticity using real data, not model data.
>Unless I am missing something I only see the ability to do simple
>mathematical operations, not div and vort. If this is the case will
>thse features be added by Wisconsin before SCC and UCC are sunset.

We will definitely NOT sunset the SCC, UCC, SFCPLT commands before ADDE
replacements can do the math operations that users need/expect.  I was
disappointed to see the lack of the operators necessary to do things like
divergence in the list of things that PTCON supports.  This will be a hot
topic for discussion between SSEC and I at the upcoming MUG meeting.

>I have ldm-5.0.8 and McIDAS 7.6 up and running on wxmcidas (x86 machine)
>without any problems so far.

Great!  A number of the folks attending the McIDAS workshop have download
the distribution and built it on their home machines in the past couple
of days.  Today, the last day of the McIDAS workshop, we cover building,
installing, and configuring of -X, -XCD.  I expect no snags since I have
been running my distribution on the instructor machine with no glitches
so far.  (I have found a couple of things that need tweaking, but nothing
major).

>Thanks,

Later...

Tom