19990715: unable to view profiler data using PROFDISP or PROFSECT

>From: weather <address@hidden>

Robert,

>I am able to view my profiler data using the old PROPLT program,
>but using PROFSECT, I get the message that no data was found matching
>the search conditions, even though it is definitely there and I
>am pretty sure I have the parameters correct.  PROFDISP just
>gives a blank map with no error message when I know there
>should be data plotted.  I probably have something messed up
>in ADDE , but I don't know what it is.

I logged onto psnldm to check this out.  What I found was that the reason
the routines are failing is that your proftomd decoder needs to be updated
(SCHEMA got out of sync with proftomd).

The profiler data files were inconsistent in the DAY key.  This is
illustrated in both MDU and MDL outputs:

/export/home/mcidas/workdata% mdu.k LIST 86
  MD#  CREATED SCHM PROJ  NR   NC     ID   DESCRIPTION
 ----- ------- ---- ---- ---- ---- ------- -----------
    86 1999196 WPRO    0   48   35   99196 Hourly Prof data for 15 Jul 1999
 -- END OF LISTING

/export/home/mcidas/workdata% mdl.k 86

--RECORD AT (ROW,COL) = (   3,   1)

|DAY  =     99196 CYD  | TIME =     10000 HMS  | MODE =       LOW
|CMAX =        27      | MOD  =         0      | IDA  =      WNCI
|IDB  =         2      | IDN  =     74556      | LAT  =   39.6500 DEG
|LON  =   90.4799 DEG  | ZS   =       170 M    | Z    =         0 M
|Z    =       670 M    | SPD  =      7.61 MPS  | DIR  =       182 DEG
|VWND =      0.00 MPS  | Z    =       920 M    | SPD  =      9.06 MPS
|DIR  =       190 DEG  | VWND =      0.04 MPS  | Z    =      1170 M

You can see that the ID in the mdu.k listing is 99196 and that the DAY
in the mdl.k output is 99196.  The problem is that the DAY type is CYD
which means that the date should be 1999196 instead of 99196.

What needs to be done is:

o for existing profiler MD files, you need to change the day type from CYD
  to SYD.  For example:

  LWU POKE MDXX0086 'SYD ' 1264
  LWU POKE MDXX0096 'SYD ' 1264

  (I just did these for you)

  PROFSECT now plots as it should.

o upgrade your FSL2 profiler wind decoder so that it matches the version
  of the profiler schemas in SCHEMA

  (I did this by FTPing a binary from our Sun Solaris machine)

  When a new day starts, the profiler files will have DAYs of CCYYDDD and
  a type of CYD which matches.  PROFSECT and PROFDISP will then work
  with either type of file.

Sorry for the problems...

Tom