19990526: ADDE

>From: weather <address@hidden>

Robert,

>I will be using shemp heavily today as the ADDE server as
>connections to all of my potential feed sites are terrible.

Go for it!  Please let me know if you run into any problems...

Tom

>From address@hidden  Wed May 26 13:10:22 1999
It is working great.  It is just a little slow because the
connections are so bad, even to shemp.

Thanks for letting me use it.

Robert
NSBF Meteorology

>From address@hidden  Thu May 27 12:26:03 1999

ADDE access to shemp worked great last night.  I still have problems
with cirrus(270ms, 40% loss from ping -s) and aurora(20-50% packet
loss), but found that Penn State (Jeff Wolfe had offered ihlseng as a
temporary backup) is acceptable so I am feeding from him today.

The ADDE server worked great yesterday and last night, no problems at
all, I did not lose any data that I needed.

BTW, I received my copy of RedHat Linux 6.0 from Linux Systems Labs
last week.  I loaded it up, it would not recognize my Intel
EtherExpress card that woked fine on NT and Solaris 7, it locked up the
install when autoprobing, so I started over again, did not install
networking, put in the root password and rebooted.  After rebooting I
found that I could not log in with the root password I had given,
$s1*b6bz.  I retyped it over and over again, to no avail.  I
reinstalled again, using same password, again same thing.  I switched
keyboards thinking there might be a problem and reinstalled, same
thing.  Finally I reinstalled and just used the letter "t" as the
password and I got in.  After some experimentation, I found that any
password with a $ in it would not be recognized.  I give up, three
strikes is enough for me, I will just buy a little faster to machine to
make up the difference.

NSBF Meteorology