19990520: easy question

>From: Craig Motell <address@hidden>

Craig,

>In a previous email you and I both found that the satellite zenith
>angle at the satellite subpoint was approximately 98 degrees.

Right, I still do not understand this!

>I want to investigate why the angle isn't either 90 or 0 degrees.

Me too.

>Question:
>
>1) I modified the file nvxgoes.dlm by putting DDEST statements.
>I want to look at the values given here!

OK.

>2) I issued command "nav_int nvx*.dlm nvx*.dlm > nvprep.for

You could let the makefile do this for you.

>3) What is the easiest way to recompile this program:

Your test program?  Or the new nvprep module?

>(1) should
>I used "make mcx" or (2) should I use another command, for example
>"mccomp nvprep.for"?

The easiest thing to do is to compile the program you are working on
directly:

<edit makefile and add entries for your program (ax.pgm if I remember
correctly):

#-------
# Unidata McIDAS apps
#-------

UPCPgm_Srcs             = \
                        aloop.pgm \
                        ax.pgm \

aloop.k                 : aloop.o $(LIBDEPS)
                        @$(L) -o $@ $(main_o) aloop.o $(LIBARGS)

ax.k                    : ax.o $(LIBDEPS)
                        @$(L) -o $@ $(main_o) ax.o $(LIBARGS)

cd ~mcidas/mcidas7.5/src
make ax.k

Your program executable depends on the library which, in turn, depends
on all of the object files that files that will be put into it;
nvprep.o is one of these.

If you are doing the development in an account other than McIDAS, then
you will need to compile the object files "by hand" using mccomp
and add them to libmcidas.a.  The other thing you could do is mimic
the work that the makefile does on the command line.  For this, I would
read through ~mcidas/mcidas7.5/src/makelog and see the steps that are taken
for the creation and compilation of nvprep.for and its inclusion in
libmcidas.a.  Then I would follow-up with the compilation/link examples
for other programs listed in makelog.

For a more comprehensive explanation of building programs in the McIDAS
environment, I would refer to:

Unidata McIDAS-X Homepage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx
  Programmer's Reference Manual
  http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mug/prog_man/prog_man.html

If you are _the_ person using McIDAS at Hawaii, and you are working from
the 'mcidas' account, I would take the makefile modification route.

>The question is if you are rebuilding the mcidas binaries (in this
>case one program) what is the best way to do it?

Depends on if you are 'mcidas' or another user.

>Thankyou,

Later...

Tom