19990521: McIDAS inatallation problem

>From: address@hidden

Haiyun,

>I am installing McIDAS-X 7.50 in Unix. The operating system is
>SunOS 5.5. After I typed in the command, make mcx, I got an
>error message that told me
>
>  tclcomp.sh: couldn't find Tcl configuration information.

I have not encountered this error before, so I will need to do a little
fishing for information.

Presumably, you had done the following before typing 'make mcx':

o logon as the user 'mcidas'

o ftp the distribution from Unidata to the home directory of the user
  'mcidas'

o set your McINST_ROOT envrionment variable to be $HOME (e.g. /home/mcidas;
  IMPORTANT: this must NOT be /home/mcidas/mcidas7.5)

o change the permissions on 'mcinstall' so that it is executable

o unpack the distribution:  './mcinstall'

o cd to the mcidas7.5/src directory

o run 'make mcx'

>I don't believe that it is a problem of path, because I
>checked the tclcomp.sh and its arguments and found
>no problem with the path. It seemed to me that it did not
>get tclConfig.sh file. Could you please tell me the reason and how
>can I fix it?

If the distribution unpacked correctly/completely, then tclConfig.sh should
exist in the ~mcidas/tcl/unix directory.

What compilers are you using (e.g. SC4.2 or gcc)?  Is the PATH for 'mcidas'
such that the C compiler in /usr/ucb is found preferentially?  If so, your
PATH is incorrect.  McIDAS requires an ANSI C compiler to build and
/usr/ucb/cc is not ANSI compliant.

If use of the incorrect C compiler is the problem, you need to:

o cd ~mcidas/mcidas7.5/src
o make clobber
o change your PATH so that the Sun SC C and Fortran compilers are found
  preferentially
o rerun 'make all'

I deliberately put 'make all'.  If you are planning on running McIDAS on
"live" data, you will want to be running the McIDAS-XCD decoders.  If
you were planning on using the point source, grid, and text files that
are included in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream, you should be aware
that these files are going away at the beginning of July.

If I am off base on my conjecture above, please let me know.  If all else
fails, please give me a login to your machine as your 'mcidas' user
so I can poke around and find the cause of your problem.

>Haiyun Yang
>Geography Department
>Univerisity of South Carolina

Tom Yoksas