19990401: McIDAS adde server

>From: Peter Schmid <address@hidden>

Pete,

>I have installed/setup/configured McIDAS 7.5X on our Unix cluster on both
>Sparc and intel platforms.
>
>My question (really a comments to some degree) is it appears to me that the
>ADDE server entries that need to be placed in /etc/services actually need
>to be in the flat file and can't be referenced via our NIS services database.

Sites using NIS need to add the entries for the services in a different
way than the standard.  We have gone through this with another site, so
the information is in our online McIDAS email archives.

>I was attempting to install the server via our NIS database so I could easily
>test the ADDE server on a machine other than our current operational machine
>then quickly and easily switch it over to our operational machine. The only
>way I could seem to get the ADDE server to work is if I added the mcserv and
>mccompress entries into that machines' /etc/services file even though my
>nsswitch.conf file specified looking at our NIS database.

I was successful in getting the ADDE remote server setup on a machine using
NIS without having to muck with the machines /etc/services file.

>If this is indeed the case (which is fine), I would suggest maybe a statement
>in the setup instructions that it can't be placed in an NIS database.

But it can.

>Otherwise McIDAS 7.5 w/ ADDE installed okay and is running fine.

Glad to hear it.  Just for my information, how many machines are we talking
about?

>Thanks,
>Pete.

Tom

>From address@hidden  Thu Apr  1 10:28:24 1999
re: NIS setup info in tracking system
>Since it is so early in the release of 7.5 I did not even think to look there.
>Sorry about that, I usually try to search them out prior to writing e-mail to
>you guys.

re: how many of what kind of machines
>We have about 22 Pentium II's running Solaris 2.6 x86 and about 40 Sparc
>machines running 2.6.  However we only have a few people around here that run
>McIDAS.  Most people here run Gempak so it won't get too much use.  But both
>David and I really want to stay at least current with McIDAS.

>The way I have the two different platforms setup is we have both a
>SPARC and x86 server for each platform.  Each server has an identical
>/unidata partition with McIDAS and other Unidata software installed.
>The x86 clients automount x86-server:/unidata and the SPARC clients
>automount sparc-server:/unidata.  That way user profiles don't care
>which platform they log onto no matter what software they use.  That
>way I don't have to add a platform specific environment or figure out
>which platform users are logged into.

>Maybe not totally the best way to do it but it solved many obsticles
>easily and simply.

Pete.