logging, stats, and dcgrib problem

Sitler Jeffrey L Civ AFIT/ENP wrote:

> > Good Morning Anne,
> > While snooping around on fujita, I found this
> > cd /var/adm/messages
> > cd /var/adm/messages.0
> > cd /var/adm/messages.1
> > cd /var/adm/messages.2
> > cd /var/adm/messages.3
> > I am sure you know about this, but it was new to me.  It looks like most
> of
> > the messages are about pq act/binstats on messages, messages.1 was about
> the
> > lightning that we are now getting.
> > Don't know if this is of any help to you, but figured I would pass it
> along.
> > Thanks
> > Jeff

Hi Jeff,

First, thanks for pointing out to me that the LDM was also logging to
the system log - I was not aware of that.  These messages are duplicates
of what is going into the LDM log, ldmd.log.  To fix this I made the
following change to /etc/syslog.conf:

*.err;kern.notice;auth.notice;local0.none               /dev/sysmsg
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^
*.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;local0.none    /var/adm/messages
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^

(I finally realized that I could become root myself and make such
changes - duh.)  Adding the 'local0.none' tells the LDM not to log
anything to /dev/sysmsg or /var/adm/messages. This should should solve
the problem.  Please check again later to ensure no more LDM messages
are being written to /var/adm/messages.

Regarding stats, I found that one problem was that the file generated by
pqbinstats, ~ldm/logs/ldmbinstats.upc, was owned by you, not by the
LDM.  So I changed the ownership, which solved that problem but revealed
another.  That is, your LDM trys to send the message, which is destined
for us here at the UPC, to mailhost.afit.af.mil, which is unknown to
fujita.  Here's the command I often use to see of fully qualified domain
names can be resolved:

fujita{ldm}98: nslookup mailhost.afit.af.mil
Server:  stealth.afit.edu
Address:  129.92.2.1

*** stealth.afit.edu can't find mailhost.afit.af.mil: Non-existent
host/domain

Running this from fujita shows that fujita doesn't know of that host.
Please ask your sys admin what the name of your mail server should be.

Beyond that, I've sent a message to Steve Chiswell regarding the
problems that dcgrib is reporting in the log.  I hope to have an answer
for you regarding those soon.

That's all for now.  Happy Halloween!

Anne
address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000