[IDV #PNU-954120]: Interface closes immediately

> Thank you Yuan.
> I got it to work this time.

Good to know. Please let me know how do you fix the crashing problem since it
is very rare in MacOS.

> I have a question regarding my data, I am part of a team of graduate
> students at GMU [data engineering department] and would like to use IDV to
> map out Ice Supersaturated Regions (ISSR) across different Flight Levels.
> We have managed to calculate each cell across the United States, if that
> particular cell is an ISSR then we simply mark it with a 1 (True) value.
> We have data files for every day of the past year but I think my labelling
> in order to use IDV is wrong.
>
> This is what our final .csv file looks like, it works fine with Python but
> I do wonder if we need to make some modifications for IDV?
> [image: Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 14.30.55.png]

I wonder how did you calculate the ISSR value, is it based on a model output or
observation?
If this calculation is based on model output, you may be able to do it directly
in the
IDV and create a display.

> When I click Add Source, it prompts a Point Data table; here I can select
> my Lat and Lon fields and set them to Latitude and Longitude, these should
> return the location of my ISSR cell, however I would like to set the Level
> field (which is the Flight Level) correctly.
> Does this field need to be set as Altitude? If so what further actions
> would I need to take in order to view each one of these data points
> (Lat,Lon) across each Flight Level?
>
> [image: image.png]

The point data is always tricky in the first time, but if you did it correctly
and saved and export it
as a data source type, it will be very easy later on. Here is the information
you should read to make it
right:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/datadisplays/point/TextPointData.html

If I understand your data correctly, the Level is not the physical altitude, so
you do not need to worry about it.
If you do have the altitude, the display will be more interesting since it is a
3D visualization tool.

> I also think each time field (Year, Month, Day, Hour) (so 4 different
> fields) need to be put into 1 field as the format in IDV indicates. Is that
> correct?

The above link will tell you how to deal with time like this, you need to set
the date format as "yyyy-MM-dd HH"
and colspan="4" in Extra field.

It sounds like a very interesting project, we can set up a zoom meeting if you
think it can help.

Yuan

> I look forward to hearing from you.
> Thank you,
> Fethi
>
> address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > My name is Fethi Erimcag. I am a graduate student at George Mason
> > > University, in the data warehousing engineering program.
> > >
> > > I would like to use Unidata to model ISSR data however upon loading the
> > > user interface closes within seconds.
> > > I can see it appear for 1 second but then closes.
> > >
> > > I use a Mac which I just updated and used the IDV 5.7 Installer for Mac
> > OS
> > > X available on unidata.ucar.edu
> > >
> > > Could you kindly help me?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Fethi
> > >

> > Hi Fethi,
> >
> > It is very rare that the IDV got crashes on a Mac OS. We used to get this
> > kind of
> > support question regarding the Window OS and fixed the problem by updating
> > the video
> > card driver. I google this online and noticed some other Java 3D
> > applications reported
> > the problem you experienced. This problem is related to an OpenGL version
> > support
> > issue from the video card driver but maybe there is a bug in the JOGL
> > library
> > that made it crashing on the certain OSX version.
> >
> > There are a few options you can try:
> >
> > 1)install and reinstall
> >
> > 2) check if you can update the version of the Mac OS (I don't think you
> > can update the
> > video card driver alone)
> >
> > 3) try 5.6 or 5.7u1 (nightly)
> >
> > Let me know which option helps and your information might be helpful to
> > others.
> >

> > Yuan
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: PNU-954120
> > Department: Support IDV
> > NOTE: All email exchanges with Unidata User Support are recorded in the
> > Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through
> > the web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in
> > this way, you must let us know in each email you send to us.

Ticket ID: PNU-954120
Department: Support IDV