A student with a new PC touchscreen laptop with double-HD resolution launches the IDV. Her splash screen and all the GUI fonts (icons, menus, controls, etc.) are unreadably tiny.Â
I canât find anything in the Preferences that will help.Â
Could you please clarify how IDV might, ideally on ANY machine, Â
1. have the GUI look readable (on a high-res screen)
2. have image captures look nice and sharp (even without a physical high-res screen), as discussed in the quoted Âunresolved correspondence below from December?Â
How is the deviceâs âscreen sizeâ obtained and used? Can that be overridden?Â
On Dec 17, 2017, at 3:07 PM, Jeff McWhirter <address@hidden> wrote:
<PastedGraphic-1.png>I think itâs just a matter of the screen resolution. Years ago weâd have folks run the IDV in off screen mode and set the screen size to something like 8000 pixels wide to get high resolution imagesJeff
On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 11:53 AM Mapes, Brian Earle <address@hidden> wrote:
Right!ÂSo how do we get that reliably without buying a HDTV screen and plugging it in?Â
Is the limit the capabilities of the âvideo cardâ, rather than the screen per se?ÂI am out of my depth in these matters. Â
Wow, the image on the left is way cooler!
Folks,ÂPlugging my computer into a HDMI at the Earthcube booth, the display changed a lot.
1. the quality went way up! A lot more people would like the IDV if its graphics looked like the left panel here (captured in Jupyter while plugged in to HDMI)! Can that be made more permanent? Is there some option a user can set? The right one is perfectly readable (after unplugging HDMI cable), but the ânot publication qualityâ critique of IDV really holds it back.Â
2. The vertical aspect ratio changed a lot â the isosurface was a very thin pancake (glad I colored it by altitudeâ).Â
3. The âhomeâ icon makes the view jump to a very zoomed position in South Florida â the location of the template I used to teleport this bundle to Sandy. Some students had the same issue in class for the other cases I teleported too. I remain confused about âviewâ, âprojectionâ, âbounding boxâ, â some are teleported, others are secretly stuck back in south Florida? Yuan, can you explain (document) this at least, if not change it? Links to the proper sections of IDV documentation online would be fine if the issues are clear there.Â
---------3D bundle here, if you want to play with the particular same one.Â
NOTE: All email exchanges with Unidata User Support are recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the web. If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way, you must let us know in each email you send to us.