[IDV #DUV-766354]: IDV - EQ Energy release

> My plan is to make such interpolated 2D grids for each 500m thick depth
> layers if possible. So lets say that if I have earthquake data from the
> surface down to 35km depth, that would mean that I would have to calculate
> 70 such 2D grids as we talked before.
>
> Then my final plan is to somehow merge these individual 2D grids together
> into one big 3D grid for the entire volcanic area, with the final grid size
> 15x20x35(depth) from which I could make like 3D isosurface plots, plotting
> an isosurface of a certain energy release value under a volcanic field, to
> see 3D areas of greater seismic energy release.
>
> So if I summarize:
>
> - I have a 3D text point dataset of earthquake locations.
> - The whole volcanic area can be confined into a big 3D grid box of around
> 15x20x35km (X*Y*Z dimensions).
> - Within this big grid box, I would like to make individual calculations
> for each small 3D grid box of dimensions around 500x500x500m.
> - within each small 3D grid box, I would like to calculate the cumulative
> seismic energy release of all the earthquakes in that small 3D grid box.
> - then, in the end, I would like to interpolate all the small grid cells
> within the main grid box, to then be able to make 3D isosurface plots under
> the volcanic field, or make cross sections and so on.
>
> If would be nice such calculations are possible for 3D grid cells. The
> seismic energy release value is a constant for each individual earthquake
> magnitude, and can be calculated with a simple formula, which I am going to
> attach in an image.
>
> Best regards

When I asked you how many grid box you need, I was thinking about a few number
of 2D boxes, and
you can create these boxes with draw control and then call the formula Maps >
Subset field from map to get
all the points inside the box and do calculation. The IDV can subset the field
with the polygons of maps boundary, But
only in the 2D dimensions.

Since your plan will require boxes in 3D dimensions and subset in 3D
dimensions, I will suggest to do it outside the
IDV and create a CF compliant netCDF file and then load it back to the IDV,
this will be the most efficient way.

Yuan

> sreda, 19. april 2017 je oseba Andrej Flis <address@hidden> napisala:
>
> > Well, I was thinking this way:
> >
> > The whole volcanic area is around 15x20km.
> > And I was thinking to then use as small grid calculation boxes as
> > possible, like 500x500m or even smaller like 100x100m, to have the final
> > resolution as high as possible. I have intel i7-4770 processor and 16GB of
> > RAM, so I assume my hardware can handle such high resolution grid.
> >
> > So esentially I am trying to calculate what was the seismic energy release
> > in each grid calculation box, which is esentially like a grid point.
> >

> > Regards
> >

> > address@hidden

> >> volcano.

> >> Ok, how many grid box you are thinking about? If this grid box is for the
> >> specific volcano, maybe you only
> >> need one or two, or you need to have the grid box to cover the whole
> >> domain?
> >>

> >> Yuan

Ticket ID: DUV-766354
Department: Support IDV