[IDV #DWG-532724]: NetCDF files with multiple vertical coordinate systems in IDV

> I have a netCDF dataset generated from WRF that I am trying to plot in IDV,
> but I am struggling with a few things.
>
> - The netCDF files have multiple vertical coordinate systems in one
> file, and it seems that IDV doesn't know how to deal with that.  I can run
> a "ncdump -h" on the files and see that there are variables that aren't
> plottable from the field selector, but definitely present in the netCDF
> files.  Is there a way to modify the IDV or the netCDF file to help it
> understand the other coordinate systems?

Hi Bryan,

I briefly checked the file from your drive, and I hate to say this is a very
badly formatted netCDF file. So many error in the attributes and coordinates,
this
is why you can not see some of the fields in the field selector.

You have three options here: 1) recreate the file with better information. 2)
using
ncml to modify the file, 3) convert the file to other unstagger format. It is
very inefficient
to let the IDV do the unstagger process.

> - The coordinates I currently have are eta coordinates (native WRF
> coordinates from the output I have) and then pressure
> coordinates have been
> added (linked file; below signature).  I want to be able to plot the
> pressure coordinates variables as well.  The pressure coordinates are
> listed as "vlevs" in the netCDF file.  I do have netCDF commands
> available
> from a terminal if that is necessary.
> - I don't know how much difference it makes, but I also have another
> file with theta coordinates and yet another with thetaE coordinates as
> well.  I will need to work those out some time soon too.
> - Also, when I try to aggregate these netCDF files over time with IDV,
> it doesn't work when I use one of the selection options (aggregated WRF
> netCDF files by Time) but the other works (aggregate Grids by Time).  Is
> this a bug, or is the netCDF file I am using non-standard for WRF output?

This is not a standard WRF output, this is why aggregation not working.

Yuan

> Any thoughts on how to make IDV take these files in?  If you would prefer
> to have a meeting about this to see what I have and what happens, I am more
> than happy to do that, just set up a time that works out for us in
> GCalendar.
>
> Thanks for any insights.
> Bryan
> ?