[IDV #JBB-846875]: IDV: HeadlessException

> IDV support,
>
> I reported a few minutes ago that this sequence fails:
>
> data arrives via IDD â> LDM â> Bourne shell script â> runIDV ISL_script
> â> IDV < IDV_bundle  > GIF image
>
> with the message:
>
> âjava.awt.HeadlessException: No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this
> program performed an operation which requires it.â
>
> I forgot to add to that problem report that the LDM on the same machine also
> regularly runs scripts that run WXP programs that open X-windows (XQuartz
> v2.7.7) and create and save GIF images, with no problems.
>
> â Dave

Dave,
     In general, it is possible to run the IDV in the headless environment. We
have seen users doing this from time to time, but not much experiences by
ourselves.

     The headless environment means there is no video card, or running as a
cron job. When login remotely by ssh -Y..., you should be able to run the IDV.

      To run the IDV in headless, you need to start the xvfb or Xdummy first,
and export Display, and then runIDV, and here is an example script:

#!/bin/bash

export DISPLAY=:0
cd $HOME
./killname Xorg.azureuser
./killname Xdummy
xargs ./Xdummy -reset >xdummylog 2>&1 &

#echo `grep DISPLAY /home/suvarchal/xdummylog|cut -d ' ' -f4`
#echo $dd
cd $HOME/IDV_5.0u1
export DISPLAY=:0
echo "RUNNING ON "$DISPLAY >>log
echo "STARTED "`date` >> log
./runIDV
echo "DONE "`date` >> log

Yuan

> * Dr. Dave Dempsey, Chair           |       ^    ___    \|/   *
> * Dept. of Earth & Climate Sciences |  )   ^   /||_||\ â-0â-  *
> * San Francisco State University    | )  )    / ||_|| \ /|\   *
> * 1600 Holloway Ave.                |  )  )  /  ||_||  \      *
> * San Francisco, CA   94132         |  )  ) /   ||_||   \  ^  *
> * Phone:  (415) 338-7716            |  )  )  )~~||~||~~~~~\~~ *
> * FAX:      (415) 338-7705          | )  )  )  ) ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *
> * Email:   address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>         |  )  )   )  ) ) ~ ~
>  ~ ~ *

Ticket ID: JBB-846875