[IDV #TNW-894406]: IDV: Lightning data

Hi Dave,

For the record, I  was able to open your lightning file and display the data in
the IDV.

What I think is going on is background images or other layers are interfering
with the display of lightning data.

As a first test, please make sure no other layers are available except for the
usual green IDV world coastlines.

Please let us know about your progress.

Thanks.

-Julien

> On Mar 1, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
>
> >     >> I created a lightning bundle (attached) for you to experiment the
> > NLDN data. When you load the bundle, you need to change the datapath to
> > point to your local data set, I would suggest using the file
> > "201106000.ingest" which is the one I used in this bundle, the lightning
> > layout model is fade by time, the result is very cool.
>
> Julien,
>
> I can now read our NLDN binary data files (including the one for 201106000)
> without producing any error messages. However, our files don't produce a
> lightning display--the IDV just shows the blue marble map background and the
> "Netcdf Point Data - Point Data Plot 2011-03-01 hh:mm:ssZ" display label. The
> files seem pretty small (barely over 2000 bytes at most, and 756 bytes for
> 201106000 in particular), but that's bigger (and more variable from minute to
> minute) than the header-only files that I was presumably getting until
> recently.
>
> I've attached the 201106000 file, in case you want to see if you can read it.
>
> I'll plan on giving you a call sometime between 10:35 am and 1:30 pm tomorrow
> (Wednesday, March 2), if we still need synchronous communication about the
> problem by then.
>
> -- Dave

> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                        |       ^   ___       \|/     *
> *   Dept. of Geosciences                    |  ) ^     /||_||\    --0--  *
> *   San Francisco State University   | )  )    /  ||_||  \    /|\     *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                      |  )  )  /   ||_||    \          *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          |  )  ) /    ||_||      \   ^   *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716               |  )  )  )~||~||~~~~ \~~*
> *   FAX:      (415) 338-7705               | )  )  )  ) ~  ~  ~ ~ ~ ~*
> *   Email:   address@hidden        |  )  )   )  ) ) ~  ~   ~ ~ *

Ticket ID: TNW-894406