[IDV #TNW-894406]: IDV: Lightning data

Dave,

Unfortunately, this is a tough nut to crack especially since we are reporting
inconsistent observations. It may take some additional sleuthing to get to the
bottom of this, but I have a first suggestion. The goal of this suggestion is
to start us on a common base line, and eliminate other factors that could
account for these inconsistencies.

If you are comfortable doing this, quit the IDV, move the .unidata directory to
.unidata.SAVE, and restart the IDV. This will give us a "virgin" IDV. Now you
will have to re-install the lightning data plug-ins. After to those
installations please reload the lightning data files in question. What happens?

Thanks.

-Julien

> On Mar 2, 2011, at 9:52 AM, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
>
> > For the record, I  was able to open your lightning file and display the
> > data in the IDV.
>
> Julian,
>
> And I was able to read your file, but as with mine, nothing was displayed
> except the background map. (The animation widget shows lots of frames and the
> display label showed up and increments as the animation progresses--just no
> data plotted. Same was true with my data file, though there's doubt about
> whether it had anything other than metadata in it.)
> >
> > What I think is going on is background images or other layers are
> > interfering with the display of lightning data.
> >
> > As a first test, please make sure no other layers are available except for
> > the usual green IDV world coastlines.
>
> Turning off the background maps yields black (or white if I reverse the color
> scheme)--no data plotted, even while the animation widget cycles busily
> through the many frames of the animation.
>
> -- Dave

Ticket ID: TNW-894406
Department: Support IDV