[IDV #YBN-898329]: Need Help With Giving IDV More Memory In Windows

Hi Jacob-

On Windows, you need to edit runIDV.bat instead of runIDV if you
are using the icons and/or Start menu.  If you are running from
a shell command line in an environment like Cygwin, then you'll
need to edit the  runIDV shell script.

Don Murray

> I am having trouble with setting the memory capacity for the IDV in
> Windows XP.  When I used to download and install the IDV under Windows,
> the default memory capacity would be set at 512mb and I would go into
> the plain file labled "IDV" and change the memory from 512mb to
> whatever my computer has realistically, which now would be about
> 1512mb.  However, the IDV no longer responds to my change and will not
> change from the default 512mb.  This results in the IDV thinking I only
> have 512mb of RAM and therefore, I can not do much with data before the
> program locks up.  I have copied and pasted the text from the file I go
> into to change the memory capacity for the IDV below:
>
> This file is again, labled "IDV" and I see no extension to it.  What is
> the correct way of changing the memory capacity in the IDV so that the
> IDV will perform better?  I am helping someone with installing the IDV
> on their machine which has about 3G of RAM and we want to set the
> memory capacity in the IDV to 2512mb and allow Windows to use the
> remaining 512mb of RAM.  But with the IDV not responding to my changing
> the memory capacity in the file, the IDV thinks his computer only has
> 512mb of RAM.  Thanks and to give you a better understanding for what I
> am explaining, the file readout from the file "IDV" is below:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> dirname=`dirname $0`
> command="java -Xmx512m -Didv.enableStereo=false -jar ${dirname}/idv.jar $*"
>
> if test -f jre/bin/java; then
> ##We are in the installer directory
> ./jre/bin/${command}
> else
> ##Try using the dirname of this script
> if test -f ${dirname}/jre/bin/java; then
> ${dirname}/jre/bin/${command}
> else
> if test  ${JAVA_HOME}; then
> ##Try using JAVA_HOME