[IDV #EJO-495022]: JAVA

Hi Jerry-

> Full Name: Jerry Blechman
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.5\jre version: 1.5.0_11
> j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Description of problem: Creating display: Color-Filled Contour Plan View
> Java heap space

> I was trying to create a loop from the NAM 12 km run.  I had successfully
> added the
> MSLP Eta Reduction and total Precipitation fields in contour plan views.  I
> was adding a color-filled
> contour plan view of the temperature at 2 m when I got the heap space error.
> On the task manager
> JAVA takes up what I think is a very large space at 652256K.  I've noticed
> that in previous
> sessions and the IDV does tend to freeze on this computer.
>
> I've asked for more memory and the computing services tech put in an extra
> gigabyte last week
> so it now has 2 GB RAM but the IDV still shows 533 MB Memory in the lower
> left corner.  Why
> is that?  Is the IDV not using all the available RAM?  If so, how do I change
> that?

On the 32-bit Windows XP, the maximum you are going to be able to use it 1.5
Gb.  However,
on some systems the graphics uses shared memory, so you might run into
problems.  I'd
try allocating 1.2 Gb first and if that works, you can try to increment it up
little
by little.  If it doesn't work, ratchet it down to 1Gb.

To change the memory allocation, you need to edit the runIDV.bat script.
Instructions
are here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/Faq.html#memory

so to allocate 1.2 Gb, try -Xmx1200m.

However, even with that, the 12km NAM is a very high resolution grid.  If you
are plotting over the whole country, you could reduce the resolution.  If you
are just looking over a particular region, then you could subset spatially.
See the Performance Tuning section of the User's Guide for more information:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/misc/PerformanceTuning.html

Don Murray

> Stack trace:

Ticket ID: EJO-495022