[IDV #KWG-597166]: Thermal wind vectors

Hi Dave-

> On Tue, July 22, 2008 12:35 pm, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
>
> >> Dave Dempsey whined:
> >>
> >> (1) The thermal wind vector display is shown at sea level, and
> >> setting Display > Levels to some other pressure level seems to have no
> >> effect on where the field is plotted. There is no vertical position
> >> slider for this display, nor is there one for geostrophic wind vector
> >> plots, I see, though those, at least, plot at the pressure level in
> >> space where they are defined.
>
> The reply:
> >
> > It shows up at the bottom of the view because there is no vertical
> > dimension associated with it after you run the formula.  Where would
> > one plot the result?  at the top level, bottom level, or at the
> > midway point?
>
> I'd like to put it at the midway point (or the average of the pressure
> levels of the top and bottom of the layer, if that's different).

That's going to be difficult.  At the very least, you should be able
to move it vertically in the box.  You could place it over the topography
of an intermediate level also.

> > It ends up with levels instead of a position slider because it
> > uses the levels from the Geopotential height field.  This is
> > a bug, but not an easy one to fix.  I'll see what I can do.
> > I think the best bet is to implement what you and I talked about
> > at one time, where we allow the user to ignore the vertical coordinate.
> >

> I'm frustrated to admit that I can't remember how we did that! I might
> have written notes on it, but they're in San Francisco. I don't think
> there was an email exchange detailing this approach.

That still needs to be implemented.  I looked through the code
and it doesn't look straightforward, so I haven't done it this week.

However, I did fix the problem of the wind vectors over topography.
The latest nightly build has display options for vectors, wind barbs
and streamlines over topography.  Also, the isosurface value in
the Display List now updates when you change the isosurface value.

Don

Ticket ID: KWG-597166
Department: Support IDV