[IDV #WNR-458825]: Problem w/volume rendering

Hi Katie-

> Thanks so much for your quick response.

This one took a little longer. ;-)

> We have been using the 64 bit version of Java, but we get the same problems
> when we run the 32 bit version (of course, we have to use a smaller data set
> of 250x250x50). If it's not too much trouble, could you try to render our
> data set on your setup? We're using a new machine (a Mac) and want to be sure
> that the problem is not with the way ours is configured. If you could do a
> volume rendering of the data (lwc) and send us a screen shot, we'd be very
> much appreciative. If you're successful, please let us know what you're using
> (os, graphics card). Enclosed is a screen shot of the same data in VAPOR.
> While VAPOR lacks a lot of the functions we need (that IDV has), it is giving
> excellent results in the volume rendering. Our goal is to get our clouds in
> IDV to look as good as the clouds in VAPOR.

I'm not sure you'll get as good as VAPOR, but I've attached a screen
shot of what I was able to produce.  It took a long time because
we do on the fly what VAPOR does when it transforms your netCDF
file initially - put the data into display coordinate space.  We
do it on the fly because you can display the data in any projection
you want.

I also ran into the issue with it sometimes producing just a small
column.  I think that's an issue with the projection changing
when you display the data.  If you set the projection to the
data space first (e.g. display a plan view of qc or something),
then I don't think that will be an issue.  I'll look into
that more closely when I get a chance.

My graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 w/ 512 Mb.  I am
using the Texture3D.  Turning that off made a less pretty display.
For the attached, I set the data range to be 150 to 247 and
I set the transparency to be 50%.   The other person who
had the problem with the Texture3D was also using a Mac.  He
had a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256 Mb RAM.

Don