[Support #PSJ-947597]: Re: [idvusers] "Visible range" not showing image beneath

Hi Dan-

I moved this into our support system since it's a bug.

> > > I do wonder if this problem is in some way tied to the sat pic I'm
> > > using, which is a MSG image. It only displays if I use the "MSGT"
> > > projection -- switching to a different projection, such as the
> > > predefined Europe projection for a more top-down view, causes the
> > > satellite picture to disappear (all the other displays remain).
> > >

> >  Which image are you using (server/dataset)?  I was able to display
> >  the MEGLOB05V dataset from gp16.ssd.nesdis.noaa.gov over the
> >  Europe map. Can you send me a bundle with the state such that
> >  the image has disappeared?
>
> That's the image I'm using. I've attached a bundle with the image gone
> ("eupro") and also one exactly the same, but with the projection
> changed back to MSGT ("MSGTpro"). (Also note the gap between the two
> theta-e layers where two layers created either side of the prime
> meridian don't meet up -- I don't think I ever sent you an example of
> that when I mentioned it before.)

There is a bug in the Orthographic projection.  I know where this
is happening, but I'm not sure why.  In the mean time, you can
create a Vertical Perspective Projection which is very similar
to the Orthographic projection.  Just set the parameters to what
you have for your Europe projection (don't need to change the
height).   Use that and you should see the satellite image.

As for the gap, I have no solution for that.  Sorry.

> > > To test that I recreated something similar to your example image
> > > (using 2.5 deg data to save time, hence the blockiness!). Using my
> > > original "visible range" method has the desired result (see second
> > > attachment). I also tried your method, which also worked.
> > >
> > > (BTW note the odd bug in the second image with the display list text
> > > -- it's hidden behind the satpic. This again seems related to the
> > > projection: I was using the predefined US CONUS projection. The
> > > display list appeared normally using "World" or "North Pole".)
> > >

> >  Yeah, that's something about the way the 2D display works
> >  (or  doesn't).  I'm looking into a fix, but not sure when that
> >  will be.
>
> Cheers. BTW We had a power failure after I'd created that particular
> image and I hadn't saved the bundle. When I tried to recreate it to
> reproduce the problem the display list rendered fine second time
> around.

Turn it off and turn it back on.  Always works for me. ;-)

Don

Ticket ID: PSJ-947597
Department: Support IDV