[IDV #SGO-741580]: IDV NCARG for meteorology and seismology in Iceland.

Hi,

> We here at the Icelandic Meterological Office have been evaluating the
> NCARG/NCL package and the IDV for visualising meteorological models,
> weather radar data and seismic data. We have been 'blown away', so to
> speak, by the flexibility and presentation of this software.
>
> From reading information available at your web site I have gathered
> that both NCARG/NCL and IDV are available to us for use but at our own
> risk.  However, I would just like ask a couple of formal question
> regarding the software's use, so not to make any embarrassing mistakes :)

Though we are all within the same organization we here at Unidata only do
development of the IDV, not NCAR graphics, so I can only answer for the IDV.
For NCAR graphics support look here:
http://ngwww.ucar.edu/support.html

> 1. Would it be acceptable that we use NCARG and IDV to produce maps for
> the Icelandic public on our web?  (our web  www.vedur.is )
> (We would give visible credit to NCARG on those maps.)

No problem. You are free to use the IDV in any way. The IDV can do scripted
generation of imagery with its embedded scripting language ISL:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/isl/index.html

> 2. Also, we sometimes get contacted by industry to produce a specific
> map or to conduct specific research for which we need to charge a
> service. Would the use of NCARG and IDV for presenting results to
> customers be acceptable?

Again, no problem.

> We think that we might be able to contribute to the development of
> NCARG and IDV. We imagine, for example, that we might be able to
> contribute modules for importing unsupported data formats, such as UF
> and the Opera HDF radar format which we are presently working on
> complying with.

We would welcome any contributions. The IDV is designed to easily incorporate
new sources and formats of data.
 As you progress in this effort please feel free to contact us for assistance.

> I'd like to congratulate UCAR for supporting the meteorological
> community by producing such fantastic visualisation software and
> libraries.

Thanks,
Jeff

Ticket ID: SGO-741580