[IDV #MLX-680484]: Problems with MM5 Netcdf Sigmalevel an IDV

Hi Florian-

> I would like to view my MM5 model output with IDV 2.4. I converted the MM5
> output to netcdf Format with a tool available on MM5 Homepage. Its possible
> to open the file in IDV and create 2D plots but IDV can't create 3D displays
> because it doesn't recognize the sigma coordinate:
>
> "Unkown vertical coordinate with Unit null, using linear scale to Altitude"

The problem is that the netCDF format that gets produced does
not have the necessary information to convert from sigma to pressuer/height.
It needs to use something like the CF convention to specify what
parameters are needed for the conversion.

> I read in the support email archive that other users had similar problems
> but i didn't find a solution for this problem. It would be nice if you could
> tell me if there is a way to tell IDV how to use the file correctly. I
> attached  a copy of the file to this email.

The attachment wasn't there or didn't come through.  Can you resend
it?  I'll see if this can be done through NcML.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: MLX-680484
Department: Support IDV