[IDV #CFL-242151]: problem reading NWS precip file

Hi Max-

> Full Name: Max P. Bleiweiss
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.4\jre version: 1.5.0_11
> j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Description of problem: National Weather Service precipitation files from:
>
> http://water.weather.gov/download.php
>
> are supposedly in netCDF format but I have been unable to open in any of the
> listed formats.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I am attaching one of the files

Unfortunately, not all netCDF is created equals.  The IDV only handles
netCDF grids that follow some sort of known convention.  This file
does not follow any of the conventions we handle.  According
to the web page, you can download a separate program to get the
lat/lon information, so it's not even straightforward to try
and figure that out from the information in the file.

Sorry.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: CFL-242151
Department: Support IDV