[THREDDS #LMW-340107]: Question About Displaying Satellite Data From Thredds Server In IDV

Hi Jacob-

> Hey, this is the same Jacob that uses the email address,
> address@hidden.

I was guessing that, thanks for the confirmation.

> Thanks for the information.  I am actually not at the CPU that contains
> the IDV software, but I will certainly try your first suggestion once I
> get home.  When I load the satellite data from the Catalog into the
> Field Selector, I have the option of displaying the data through either
> a contour plan view or I think like you said, the color shaded plan
> view.  I have not tried the color shaded plan view; I just went with the
> contour plan view.

Yes, since they are tagged as grids, you'll get the same options as
something like Sea Level Pressure from the real grid datasets.  However,
since satellite images have lots of edges and variations of values over
small distances, the contouring will use a lot of memory.

Since the same options that I have for the images
> from the satellite chooser did not appear in the Field Selector for the
> data from the Catalog, I just guessed that the data type was incorrect.
> However, I will try the color shaded plan view.  So you are saying
> that if I load the data in through the color shaded plan view, I will
> get a satellite image?

Yes, with the caveats that the color table will not be the gray
image and the range will not be 0 to 255.  If you set them manually,
it should look like a regular image.

> Yeah, in regards to one of your points, I have seen that I cannot
> interact with the data from the catalog like I can the satellite
> chooser; however, for my current research, I am trying to retrieve
> archive satellite imagery from the March 14 & March 15 2008 Tornado
> Outbreak.  I usually depend on the satellite chooser for current data.
> When you speak of Aggregated Grib files, do you mean that when I load
> the data in from the Catalog, I should load them in as that data type?
> I think I have been leaving it as the default option.  I'll try that as
> well.

Select the Aggregated Grib files if you select multiple images and want
to look them.  If you just have one image, then the default will be okay.

> I do appreciate all the valuable information.  This has helped and I
> will try your suggestions once I arrive home.  I look forward to all
> future plans for the IDV!  By the way, you may know my current
> instructor from NC State University, Dr. Gary Lackmann?  He has been an
> excellent instructor and he informed me last semester that he has been
> in contact with IDV Support.

Gary is the chair of the Unidata User's Committee so I know him well.
He'll be out here next month for the next meeting.

> Take care and I look forward to hearing from you.

My e-mail will be sporadic for the next week as I'm in FL until
next Wednesday on some family business.  Say hi to Gary for
me.

Don

Ticket ID: LMW-340107
Department: Support IDV