[IDV #SXB-124870]: IDV - IDV can only handle limited data...

Hi Beth,

> Program is very limited in its use because it can only handle a very small
> amount of data before the program crashes.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with large data. Can you point me to the
data that you are accessing? If you are viewing WRF data in netcdf form there
are memory issues that are out of our control. e.g., see:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/idvdevelopers/2007/000366.html

There are a number of things you can do to handle larger data sets:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/misc/PerformanceTuning.html

One thing that isn't documented is the ability to cache gridded data to disk.
To do this bring up the Properties for the data source. In the first tab turn
on the  "Always cache to disk" checkbox.

-jeff

Ticket ID: SXB-124870
Department: Support IDV