[IDV #PYZ-592357]: dat format problems

Hi Barbara-

> Hello, I hope you might be able to help me again.  I guess I am  confused
> about the data that I should be plotting.  I am trying to get SLP  for
> specific
> latitude and longitude (Southern New England) for the summer months
> (june-august) for a time period of 1970-2006.  I am accessing the data at
> _http://dss.ucar.edu/datasets/ds010.1/data/_
> (http://dss.ucar.edu/datasets/ds010.1/data/)
> I would like to create contours much like the picture below and I thought I
> did  that using gridpoints downloaded from the aforementioned website that
> are viewed  in your IDV as Text Point Data Files.  However, that is not the
> result i am  getting.  I am getting just individual points plotted.  I am
> thinking
> I should be viewing them as something else but I need some guidance.  Can
> you please help.

At present, there is no way to contour point data in the IDV.  You can
only plot the data as values at each point.  We are working on implementing
an objective analysis scheme, but that is several months away.

We also don't have a way of taking in text grid data if this was truly
a grid instead of points.

Sorry.

Don Murray

> > TextAdapter: Cannot find field with name:Time[fmt from
> line:Time[fmt=yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss],Longitude[unit=degrees
> west],latitude[unit=degree],pressure[unit=hPa]
> >
> > I created the  attached .csv file based on Example 8 in the VisAD text
> > adapter  instructions.  I have SLP observations over the region bounded
> > 25  degrees N to 50 degreeslatitude N and 55 degrees W to 90 degreees W
> >  longitude.  I keep getting the above error message so I have  obviously
> > formatted something wrong.  Should I be saving the data  as a .csv in
> > excel or should I save it as a CSV in notepad as a .txt  file?
> >
> > I have read all that I can find on website and in users  guide as well
> > as search the FAQ.  I am so frustrated I don't know  what to try next.
> > Can you please help?
> >

> I'm sorry for  your frustration.  There were 4 problems with the header -
>
> First,  the first line needs to be of the  form:
> (index)->(Time,Longitude,Latitude,Pressure)
> not  just:
> Time,Longitude,Latitude,Pressure
>
> Second - The names had  different cases, e.g., Longitude and longitude.
>
> Third - the time  formats needs to have a 'T' in it:
> yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss
>
> Fourth -  the attributes need to be quoted:
> Time[fmt="yyyy-MM-dd  HH:mm:ss"],Longitude[unit="degrees
> west"],Latitude[unit="degree"],Pressure[unit="hPa"]
>

> Attached is  your example file with the above changes in it.
>
> not sure if you saw  this but there is a write up on the  format:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/data/TextPointData.htm
>
> Also,  a gui is shown when the IDV cannot read the point data. This is
> described in  the above documentation as well.
>
> Jeff
>

> Ticket  Details
> Ticket ID: PYZ-592357
> Department: Support  IDV