[IDV #CUY-460981]: Memory Allocation

Hi Bill-

Happy New Year!

> Full Name: Bill Bauman
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.4\jre version: 1.6.0_01
> j3d:1.5.1 fcs (build6)
> Description of problem: I've assigned 1024 MB RAM to IDV in the files
> "runIDV" and "runIDV.bat" and run out of memory when I overlay multiple data
> fields.
>
> I have a Windows XP machine with 4 GB of installed RAM and have tried
> increasing the RAM above 1024 (2048, for example). When I increase it over
> 1024, IDV fails to start.
>
> I'm running the latest version of IDV for Vista (not the nightly update).
>
> I'm running the latest version of Java.

What fields are you trying to overlay?

For the 32-bit Java, you are really only going to be able to
access about 1.5 GB of your memory, since the rest will be
consumed by Windows (up to 2GB).  However, even then, some users
have reported problems using over 1 GB on startup.  You could
try something like 1200 to see what that gets you. But if you
are butting up against the 1 GB limit now, you won't get much
out of 1200.

There are a couple of things you can do to decrease the
memory requirements depending on the datasets you are looking
at.  See the Performance Tuning page at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/misc/PerformanceTuning.html

In particular, turning on Fast Rendering helps.  I always have
that on by default.

We're always striving to reduce the memory use, but it's
been a slow process.  Images are particulary greedy at this
point, as are color filled contours.

Don

Ticket ID: CUY-460981
Department: Support IDV