[IDV #RIV-962460]: IDV 2.4b3 nightly 12/17: Menus hidden behind display

Hi Dave-

> On Dec 18, 2007, at 11:28 AM, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
>
> > We're  shooting for a release this Thursday, so if they are
> > bugs that we can fix quickly, please send them ASAP.

Thanks for sending these.

> Here's a quick and dirty summary. In the interests of time I'm not
> documenting them well, though. Most, if not all, of these issues came
> up during class when I was running IDV 2.3 on a MacBook Pro under
> Tiger (though I've reproduced all the ones I just tried on a Mac
> PowerPC desktop running IDV 2.3 under Tiger).

The good news is that some of these have been fixed.

> (1) Using "Data Choosers > Files". When navigating to a directory
> that is a symbolic link to another directory, the name of the linked-
> to directory appears in the IDV navigation window, not the name of the
> symbolic link. This confused us for quite a while.

That must be a Mac thing and unfortunately, our Mac system to test
on has no keyboard or monitor.  I'll put this on the TODO list, but
I'm thinking it's probably a feature, not a bug.

> (2) In the Vertical cross-section plot control window, toggling
> between "Display" and "Settings" causes the cross-section plot in
> "DIsplay" to disappear.

This is graphics card dependent.  Undocking and redocking the
control window seems to redraw the window.  I've only had this
problem on ATI video cards, but let me know if this is a problem
on others.

> (3) The probe of a gray scale satellite image returns values from
> 0-255, but after inverting the gray scale (so dark areas become light
> and vice-versa) doesn't change the values reported by the probe.
> Should it? If it shouldn't, what do the values reported by the probe
> mean?

It's the values of the data, not the color values.  The color scale
just says what color to put to a particular value.  So, if you set
your color table from 0 to 128, values of 128-255 would show up as
the same color as 128.  In this case, the values are the brightness
values of the pixels.

> (4) When I create a contour plot of geopotential height (say) from
> model data, then uncheck the legend label for the plot, the plot
> disappears, as it is supposed to. Rechecking it makes it reappear (a
> good thing!), but the "Plan Views" check box becomes unchecked for no
> obvious reason and with no apparent consequences. Unchecking the
> geopotential heights legend label makes the height contour plot
> disappear again (good!) and the "Plan Views" check box becomes checked
> again. The two check boxes continue to swap a "check" thereafter each
> time I check or uncheck the geopotential  heights legend label check
> box. This seemed to have no untoward consequences, at least in this
> particular context, but it's slightly alarming.
>
> However, I tried this with a point data display, the the dance between
> the two check boxes was more complicated--I had to cycle through the
> two of them twice to get the field to disappear and reappear.

This should be fixed in the latest nightly build.   Jeff did some
work on this in the last week.

> (5) I plotted upper air point data and tried filtering the
> temperatures without specifying the units in the filter. The plotted
> temperatures were in degrees C, but the default unit used by the
> filter appears to have been in degree Fahrenheit. It would be nice if
> the filter adopted the same units as the plotted quantity by default,
> with the ability to override that default by adding units to the filter.

Hmm, it should filter on the default unit of the data.  I'm not
sure we could change that.   Consider a plot with the same variable
but with different units.  What would the filter do in that case?

> (6) When plotting surface point data (though this might apply more
> generally), the text/symbol scale information (set in the plot control
> window) is lost when the plot is zoomed in or out--the scaling has to
> be reapplied each time. This seems annoying, but there might be a good
> reason for it. (Is there?)

This be fixed in tomorrow's build.  It was partially fixed a couple
of days ago, but Jeff just found a case where it was still broken
when we were running through our release tests.

> John Monteverdi gave me a list of features/behaviors that he'd like to
> see, which of course aren't going to make it into the IDV by Thursday
> (:-)) so I'll forward those later.

Send them along when  you get a chance.  Use a fresh e-mail  (instead
of replying to this) so we can get it on a new ticket.

Don

Ticket ID: RIV-962460
Department: Support IDV