[IDV #EYP-667686]: Help with Vector Plan View

Hi Benjamin-

> Full Name: Benjamin Chaos
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 2.4b3 build date:2007-12-18 08:05 UTC
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03 version: 1.6.0_03
> j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Description of problem: Hello Jeff or Don
> I want to produce a Flow Vector display (Field: Flow Vectors (from u &v) ?
> Displays: Vector Plan View) of ocean currents, as it is shown in the bundle
> that I?m working on. The thing is that I want to color the ?vector lines?
> (arrows) according to the values. This is a link to an image of what I want
> actually to produce:
> http://www.benjaminchaos.com/surface-currents.jpg
>
> This was generated from the OSCAR website:
>
> http://www.oscar.noaa.gov/datadisplay/index.html
>
> I know that it is possible to produce something similar using the ?value
> plot? display in order to color a symbol according to a certain value from
> the data. In this case I was trying to do so by adding a WindBarb symbol to a
> new layout. The thing is that on the properties of the windbarb I have to
> set, th ?U or windspeed parameter? and the ?V or direction parameter?. My
> dataset has a U and V parameters, which I tried to put there (I didn?t get
> results), but I?m not sure if these are not the actual ?SPEED? and ?DIR?
> parameters. I thought that I may be able to get this ?SPEED? and ?DIR?
> variables by calculating the ?Windspeed (from u & v) and Flowvectors (from u
> & v) ? and passing the result of this operations? as the SPEED and DIR
> variables.
> I don?t know if this sounds logic or may be stupid, but I just wonder if is
> possible to use the WindBarbs to generate a something similar to a colored by
> values vector plan view.   How can this be done?

It can be done, but it's not obvious.  You'll want to use the
formula Grids->One value colored by another.  However, the default
list of displays that goes with this are limited.  So, use the
Miscellaneous->Any Field formula and select the Flow Vector Plan View
display.  When prompted for the Field, select the Grids->One value
colored by another formula.  Then select the Flow Vectors for the
Data Field and the Windspeed for the Color Field.

I'll change the One value colored by another formula so it will
allow you to select the Flow Vector Plan View display directly without
having to go through the Any Field step.

> I hope you can help me with this. I really appreciate your help.
>
> Best Regards and Happy Holidays.

Thanks.  Same to you.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: EYP-667686