[IDV #KDD-358203]: Range with exponent

Hi Patrick-

> >> Full Name: Patrick Brockmann
> >> Email Address: address@hidden
> >> Package Version: 2.4b3 build date:2007-11-20 08:05 UTC
> >> Operating System: Linux
> >> Hardware: Java: home: /home/brock/IDV_2.4b3/jre version: 1.5.0_11 j3d:1.3.1
> >> Description of problem: Could it be possible to have point rather than
> >> comma for the
> >> decimal notation ?
> >>

> > The formatting is based on your system's regional settings.  For France,
> > the , is the decimal separator used.
> >
> Yes, indeed but in research we use point.

I understand.  The funny thing is that we jumped through a lot
of hoops to get this behavior based on input from users with
non-English language setups (including some French).

> My wish is to get the "Change Range" window and all user input
> with point and not comma for the decimal notation.
> I cannot find any Preferences/Regional setting in IDV.

It's a system setting of the operating system.  We don't have
the capability to override that as a preference in the IDV.  I
can look into adding that.

> Is it related to a environment variable ?

The Java Virtual Machine (JVM) uses your system default to
set the formatting.  On my Linux box (FC6), I can change that
through the System->Administration->Language option (
Bureau->Administration->Langue en Francais).  But that sets
it globally for all applications.

You can try the following, but I'm not sure if it will work in
all cases.  Modify the runIDV script that starts the IDV to set
the system properties for the JVM:

command="java -Xmx512m -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US
-Didv.enableStereo=false -jar ${dirname}/idv.jar $*"

I did a brief test on my machine and this seemed to work.
Let me know if that doesn't help you.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: KDD-358203
Department: Support IDV