[IDV #GRH-373636]: IDV - Chewing up the Java Stack/Heap

Hi Ben,

> Inquiry: I LOVE IDV...
>
> But the stack just gets chewed up so quickly. 533MB isn't enough.
>
> My machine runs Win2K with 1.5GB
> (and I've been told if I want more, say the word)
>
> What's the easiest way to run IDV with more memory.
>
> Right now I'm just running the .jnlp file ---
> I've looked on the site and it looks like I'm supposed
> to edit a file I don't know where exists.
>
> Let me know what I should be installing and I think I
> can figure out the rest....

You should go ahead and install the IDV locally. Here is the latest release:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/idv/current/index.jsp

To increase the default memory see the FAQ:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/Faq.html#memory

There are a number of suggestions for handling larger data sets here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/misc/PerformanceTuning.html

The nightly build:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/idv/nightly/index.jsp
includes some memory leak fixes that are not in the regular release.
We will be putting out a more stable release next week.

What are you trying to do that is consuming so much memory?

-Jeff

Ticket ID: GRH-373636
Department: Support IDV