[IDV #AGG-800618]: Displaying cyclone guidance numerical models in the IDV

> Hello, I have found a ftp site from the National Hurricane Center which
> contains the latest tropical cyclone guidance models for active cyclones
> in the Atlantic.  I am currently tracking TD4 in the Atlantic and would
> like to display the guidance models in the IDV which are offered by the
> NHC.  I have downloaded the file, aep992007.dat.tmp5 which I have
> attached to this email for you to observe and in this file, the forecast
> of all the NHC guidance models are utilized for TD4.  The file is
> initially downloaded as a .dat.gz file and is then unpacked and comes
> out to be a .dat.tmp5 file.   The .dat.tmp5 file is in ASCII text
> format.   Can I somehow display the aep992007.dat.tmp5 file graphically
> in the IDV and see all the models in a graphical view?
> The ftp site containing the files is listed below:

Hi Jacob,
The IDV can read this in as point data. The only gotcha is that the current
version cannot parse the lat/lon values (because of the "N" and "W").

Also, we only read in the forecast time (the "Warning Date-Time-Group")
 and we don't add the "TAU" offset time (see:
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/atcf_web/docs/database/new/abrdeck.html

That said, we have a fix in for the lat/lon reading which will be in tonights
build.  Attached is a bundle that has this data loaded up and includes a
"Track" station model. This points to an example file on our web site.

Try this out with tomorrows build.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: AGG-800618
Department: Support IDV