[IDV #MUZ-217324]: Question about IDV ...

Hi Evan-

> We are currently trying to incorporate and display shapefiles
> into our java stand alone application, FX-Net.
>
> We have attempted to use GEOTools open source solution
> but are reluctant to incorporate into our product due to the
> immaturity of the product, and questionable documentation.

NCDC is using this for their Java Radar Viewer.  I also believe
that Raytheon is using it for their AWIPS2 development.

> So we are hoping to find java libraries that allow us to manipulate
> shapefiles and seamlessly render into our product.
>
> Does IDV have the ability to read and display shapefiles?

Yes.

> Does the api allow for rendering to arbitrary JPanels or is
> it tightly coupled to the IDV display?

For the IDV portion, it's tightly coupled.  However, the underlying
classes for reading the Shapefiles and getting shapes from them
are pretty generic.  You can download the IDV source code
from our website:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/idv

You'll need to register on the site first.

The appropriate classes are in the ucar.unidata.gis.shapefile
package.   Javadoc is available at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/javadoc

Don Murray

Ticket ID: MUZ-217324