[IDV #ZQR-485819]: IDV - error loading USGS GTOPO30 DEM data

Hi Kris-

> The GTOPO30 dataset I downloaded had a .DEM extension.  Here is the
> dataset description:
>
> http://eros.usgs.gov/products/elevation/gtopo30/gtopo30.html

Even though it has a DEM extension, it's not the ASCII format described here:

http://rockyweb.cr.usgs.gov/nmpstds/acrodocs/dem/2DEM0198.PDF

which is what we support.  We've got support for the GTOPO30 on
our TODO list, but it's pretty low down there.

> I was looking at the On Earth Web Map Server in the Catalogs section of
> the data chooser.  I then selected: "Global 1 km Elevation,
> seamless.....".  I was unable to manipulate this data.  It his because
> the data is drawn from a WMS instead of a WCS?

From the WMS server, all we get is an image and there isn't enough info
to convert that to elevation values.

Do you have an idea on
> where I can get high-res global (actually European) elevation data that
> will allow full functionality in IDV?

The GEON folks have a page on getting topography data into the IDV at:

http://geon.unavco.org/unavco/IDV_for_GEON_topo.html

including the ETOPO2 data from NGDC.   Information on converting this
to netCDF is available through the page above.  You might contact Stu Wier
at UNAVCO if you need more information.

Don Murray
> >Hi Kris-
> >

> >>Institution: CIMSS
> >>Package Version: 2.2b2 build date:2007-03-16 22:15 UTC
> >>Operating System: Linux
> >>Hardware Information: Java: home: /home/krisb/IDV_2.1/jre version: 1.5.0_06
> >>j3d:1.3.1
> >>Inquiry: An error has occurred:
> >>Reading DEM: /home/krisb/W020N90.DEM
> >>Data object "/home/krisb/W020N90.DEM" not compatible with "dem" data family
> >>
> >>I'm trying to read in a DEM file downloaded from USGS and I get the error
> >>above.
> >>Am I not doing something properly?  I've selected the DEM in the data
> >>chooser, and
> >>then did a color-shaded plan view.
> >>

> >The DEM adapter only reads the USGS ASCII DEM format or ASCII Arc Grid
> >formats.
> >The GTOPO30 format is not supported at this time.
> >

> >>I notice that in the data sources, there are some global terrain elevation
> >>data selections
> >>When I select one, I get the elevation data, but I am unable to interact
> >>with it, such as
> >>changing the color table or display type.  Why is this?  Thanks!
> >>

> >Which data sources are you looking at?
> >
> >Don Murray
> >

> >Ticket Details
> >===================
> >Ticket ID: ZQR-485819
> >Department: Support IDV
> >

> --
> Kristopher Bedka
> SSEC/CIMSS, University of Wisconsin-Madison
> 1225 West Dayton Street, Room 219
> Madison, WI 53706    address@hidden
> PHONE:(608)265-0854 FAX:(608)262-5974

Ticket ID: ZQR-485819