[IDV #PIW-880027]: IDV - remove data & display does not completely reset IDV- problem with garbage collection?

Greetings HP-

Usually this is related to some memory being retained  down in
Java 3D.  Jeff did some memory profiling just before the 2.2 release
and cleaned up a few memory "leaks".  But, I'm guessing it won't solve
your problem.  A high priority for us is to do some profiling of this
to determine where the memory is being used.  Images are particularly
bad because the resulting texture maps have to be powers of two.
So, if you have a 1025x1025 image, the resulting texture map will
be 2048x2048.  So one thing to consider is that if you are doing
subsetting/blowdowns, make sure you are as close to a power of 2 in
the line or element direction to avoid memory explosion.

Other than that, I don't have any better solution than what you've done.
When you clear out the displays, it does not clear out the cached data,
so I wouldn't expect an instant memory drop.  But I agree that
clearing the memory and cache should result in some memory reduction.

Don

> Institution: EUMETSAT
> Package Version: 2.2b3 build date:@DATE@
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware Information: Java: home: /home/user/IDV_2.2b3/jre version: 1.5.0_11
> j3d:1.3.1
> Inquiry: An error has occurred:
> Creating display: 3 Color (RGB) Image
> Java heap space
>
> I am doing a VERY long sequence of RGB pictures. I break the sequence
> into platform-palatable chunks, where I try to make them alap. However,
> when I do the next chunk (and even if I do the SAME) chunk I get a java
> heap overflow.
>
> E.g. starting IDV from scratch, safter electing the geographical environment
> through a quick link and choosing the data for the first chunk the memory
> reads:
> 74/115/1527
> and I create the RGBs through the field selector, aftr which the memory reads
> with a perfect display iof the RGBs and no error message given.
> I save the individual frames through movie capture (wihtout creating the a
> mov) and
> the memory reads
> 1380/1525/1527
> I delete data & display with the scissors wherupon the memory state is
> 1314/1441/1527
> While I would have expected lower figure here I redo the SAME chunk.
> After choosing the data memory status is
> 1253?1527/1527
> Clearing memory & cache gives
> 1264/1527/1527
> and during creation of the RGBs I get the java heap message given at the top.
> Mind you, the data is local data, not from the ADDE server.
>
> My question is whether we have here a problem with garabage collection. In
> any case, it appears that IDV is not returning to her virgin state when
> applying the scissors and/or clearing memory & cache, but some garbage
> remains and builds up when you continue the same sessions. I eager to hear
> your comments and tips.
>
> HP

> Stack trace:

Ticket ID: PIW-880027