[IDV #LFB-463905]: IDV - 2-D, 3-D streamlines

Hi Kris-

> Institution: CIMSS
> Package Version: 2.2b2 build date:2007-03-16 22:15 UTC
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware Information: Java: home: /home/krisb/IDV_2.1/jre version: 1.5.0_06
> j3d:1.3.1
> Inquiry: Is there a way to display a 2-D and/or 3-D wind field in streamline
> form in IDV.
> I am seeing options for 2-D and 3-D flow vectors, but these do not appear how
> I'd like them.
> I am visualizing a 3-D simulation of mountain waves and I'd like to see how
> the flow is
> behaving as it moves over the high-resolution topography.

If you have a 3D wind field and a geopotential field, you can select
the flow vectors derived parameter and then you should see a Display
option for Streamlines over topography.  When you select that you
will be prompted for the topography field and at that point you can
select the 3D geopotential height.  I'm not sure if that's what
you have in mind, but it's one option.  You'll probably want to
exaggerate the vertical scale.

If you have a 2D surface field, you could do the same thing if you
have a topography field.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: LFB-463905
Department: Support IDV