[IDV #GTQ-802935]: IDV - data from IRI data library at lamont

Hi Alan,

> I'm attempting to plot salinity profiles using the world ocean atlas 2001.
> There is a data library at Lamont with gridded data on an opendap server.
> The URL for the data set is (apparently)
> http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.NOAA/.NODC/.WOA01/.Grid-1x1/.Annual/.an/.salinity/dods
> But this a just an html file, and plugging it into IDV does nothing.
> The dod.dds file doesn't appear to lead anywhere.
> I downloaded the netCDF file, but IDV doesn't appear to recognize it, either.
>
> So - can I use this data library? Is their data compatible with IDV?
> Am I missing something terribly obvious that's right under my nose?
> (well, probably, but what is it?)

In the URL chooser just cut-and-paste the above URL. Since the IDV doesn't
recognize
the above URL as an opendap gridded data set you need to choose "Grid files
(netCdf/GRIB/OPenDAP)"
for the "Data Source Type"

It seems like their server is pretty slow so if you are creating a plan view
display
make sure you select a level in the Field Selector.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: GTQ-802935
Department: Support IDV