[Support #ZBF-971030]: IDV and WRF data

Hi Stacy-

Sorry for the delay in responding.  You are better off sending
these to address@hidden than to me directly.

> I was able to look at some WRF model output in IDV and even looked at
> some height levels (i.e. 10km).  I have a couple questions about that:
>
> 1. Is it possible to go quickly from one height level to the next
> without having to go through all the steps to create a "Slice At
> Altitude"? Couldn't the user input a list of altitudes that he might be
> interested in instead of just a single altitude.   Then a pull-down menu
> could be added to the "Display" window for the altitudeSlice that would
> allow switching easily from height level to height level.  Wouldn't this
> help for xsections as well if I wanted to look at various xsections of
> height vs distance?  If this is not possible, then I'll need to
> interpolate the wrf output to a cartesian grid before inputting it into
> IDV.  I'm trying to avoid that.

Basically, you are asking the IDV to do your regridding. ;-)  This
is a good suggestion and I'll look into it.  It shouldn't be too
hard to add something like this either through a Jython procedure
or through some code that just calls the sliceAtLevel multiple times.
But I won't get to it right away.

> 2. What does the "Vertical Position" slidebar in the "Display" window
> for an altitudeSlice do?  I've tried sliding it from left ("Bottom") to
> right ("Top") but don't know what's supposed to happen.

For a 2D field, the slider is supposed to move the display up and
down in the box.  When there is only one level, the logic fails
as in this case.  We'll look into fixing this.

FYI, both Jeff and I will be away all next week so we will respond
to any requests when we return.

Don

Ticket ID: ZBF-971030
Department: Support IDV