[IDV #HBJ-695951]: IDV - Plotting Level II Reflectivity in Correct Location

Hi John-

> Institution: San Francisco State University
> Package Version: 2.1
> Operating System: Mac OS X
> Hardware Information: Java: home:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home version:
> 1.5.0_07 j3d:1.3.1

This is a bug and for our archives, I'm including the message I
sent to the idvusers list:

First, this is a bug in 2.1 but has been fixed in the latest
nightly/beta release at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/nightly

The problem is that older Level II files have no geolocation
information in them (i.e. where they are). In previous versions
of the IDV, we used the chooser to force the location instead
of looking in the file.  When we moved to the new Common Data
Model (CDM) way of reading the Level II files, this functionality
got lost.  By default, if there is no geolocation information,
we set the location of the radar to 0 lat/ 0 lon.

You have a couple of options with version 2.1:

- After loading in the dataset, double click on the Data Source
in the Field Selector to bring up the Properties dialog.  Select the
correct location from the list.  Then, plot your data.

- use the old way of reading in the data by clicking off the
"Use CDM" checkbox in the Level II selector.  This eliminates
one step, but we have found that the displays are sometimes
not correct.

One more note is that there are problems with the CAPPI displays
for Level II data in versions 2.1 and earlier.  We have fixed that
also in the latest releases.

Don Murray

> Inquiry: I am attempting to plot archived Level II data for KMUX.  Everytime
> I load the data and create a display, iDV plots the site at 0 degrees lat, 0
> degrees longitude.  This is despite the fact that the data chooser has "San
> Francisco Bay Area" and the Lat and Lon correct both there and in the Display
> dashboard.
>
> I am running idv 2.1 on a Mac....and have run into this with both a new
> Pentium and Mac and the older G5 PowerPC Mac.
>
> Any advice will be helpful.
>
> Thanks.  John Monteverdi

Ticket ID: HBJ-695951
Department: Support IDV