[IDV #BCI-862373]: IDV - S-Pol sweeps converted to netCDF in IDV

Hi Dan-

> Institution: Purdue University Dept. of Earth & Atmos. Sciences
> Package Version: 2.1
> Operating System: Windows XP and Fedora Linux
> Hardware Information: Dell Xeon CPU workstation & HP Centrino laptop
> Inquiry: Hello,
>
> I'm working with some NCAR S-Pol radar sweeps (DORADE) that I've converted to
> netCDF with the translator program xltrsii that comes with soloii, and was
> wondering if the resulting netCDF files can be viewed in IDV 2.1.  The
> resulting CDL (headers attached) looks okay but when I choose either netCDF
> option (single point or gridded data) in the Data Sources section of IDV, I
> either get no resulting display or a selection of only the list of constants
> that aren't helpful.

At one time, the IDV could read in the netCDF sweep file format.
However, that has not been tested in a while and it looks like
in the process of rearranging things, this capability got lost
as an option in the list.  If you create a file called
datasource.xml that looks like:

<?xml version="1.0"   encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<datasources>
  <datasource
     id="NetCDF.SWEEP"
     factory="ucar.unidata.data.radar.NetcdfRadarDataSource"
     patterns="ncswp.*\.nc$"
     fileselection="true"
     doesmultiples="true"
     label="netCDF Radar Sweep files"/>
</datasources>

and place that in your .metapps/DefaultIdv directory of your
home directory, you should end up with a netCDF Radar Sweep files
entry in the list of Data Source Type's in the File chooser.

However, the IDV can read DORADE files directly, so perhaps
you could save yourself a step?  You can select the DORADE
Radar Files for the Data Source Type.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: BCI-862373
Department: Support IDV