[Support #BOZ-852808]: Re: tiegcm and timegcm .nc files

Hi Ben-

> Well, here we are 2 months later ;-)  I really would like to
> use your idv application if possible, especially since we went
> to the trouble of adding a new vertical dimension coord to the
> CF conventions.
>
> In my previous message, I left out part of the file name of the nc
> file I am trying to read w/ IDV. The file is:
>
> http://download.hao.ucar.edu/pub/foster/murray/FOSTER.timegcm1.2.py2j001.nc
>
> In our previous correspondence, you suggested it was having
> problems with the units of time.  It is a double, with units and
> attributes as in my previous message below. I thought these units
> comply with the explanation in section 4.4 "Time coordinate" of
> the CF conventions document. If you can suggest a modification
> of the units or any other part of the file, I can try it out..
> Or maybe I should install a newer version..

The problem is that the time unit is not properly formatted.  You have:

minutes since    0-1-0 0:0:0

you need:

minutes since 0000-01-01 00:00:00

> BTW, I am more than willing to hike over to your office from CG1
> sometime if that would help...I could login to the linux workstation
> where I've installed IDV.  Thanks Don,

It's just a matter of  having a properly formatted unit.

You could cut and paste this NCML into a file (e.g. test.ncml)
in the same directory as your file and load that in to the IDV to
get you started instead rewriting the file with correct units:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<netcdf xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2";
      location="FOSTER.timegcm1.2.py2j001.nc">

    <variable name="time">
        <attribute name="units" value="minutes since 0000-01-01 00:00:00" />
     </variable>

</netcdf>

Don

Ticket ID: BOZ-852808